dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dating Apps — Are There Alternatives to Tinder?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

If you’ve been on Tinder at all you know it can get old quickly. Every once in a while you hear that rare story of someone finding their amazing boyfriend on the app, but for the most part it’s basically just a hook-up app. Tinder can also be very limiting to those who may be in the LGBTQIA+ community, as they may feel uncomfortable simply sifting through mostly heterosexual people and couples in open relationships. Not to mention the unsavory pictures and gross one-liners so common on the app. That said, there are definitely other options out there for you to explore, so stay tuned!

1. Coffee Meets Bagel

How it works: Every day at noon, you get one match (your bagel) selected for you. Your bagel always shares mutual friends with you and you can like or pass on them within 24 hours. If your bagel likes you back you’ll be connected via a private chat room. Your matches will also improve over time as the app learns more about what you like.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes.

What sets it apart: Coffee meets Bagel is an app that takes the safety and security of its members very seriously. It also is the only dating service where there are more women than men. Coffee meets Bagel, unlike many other dating apps, is more about quality over quantity.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

2. JSwipe

How it works: JSwipe is very similar to Tinder in how user-friendly and fast-paced it is. Similar to Tinder, you can swipe left or swipe right whether you would like to connect with someone or not. If they also swipe right, you’ll be matched and you’ll be able to message them.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes.

What sets it apart: JSwipe is the #1 Jewish dating app with users in over 70 countries. It is a lot more specific than other dating apps, and your matches will share your religious values.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

3. Bumble

How it works: After two people swipe right on each other they are added to their “hive” of connections. After this happens, the woman (or either person in a same-sex conntection) must make the move within 24 hours. Men do have the option to show special interest in a connection by extending the connection by one day.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes and No. Bumble is open to LGBT+ users, but they may still run into a lot of women and men simply experimenting or couples looking for another partner.

What sets it apart: The app is made by women for women, and it truly gives women the control. Men aren’t allowed to message a woman first, and if the woman doesn’t start a conversation with a match within 24 hours the chat disappears. In the case of same-sex relationships either person has to make a move within 24 hours before the connection disappears. If you really want to communicate with someone, you should do it quickly instead of putting off chatting them up with that flirty pick-up line.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

4. How About We

How it works: After you set up your profile you post your favorite date idea. You can then search for other users who want to do similar activities. After that, the next step is up to you, but hopefully you’ll find a profile you like to set up a dream date with.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes.

What sets it apart: Instead of impersonal profiles, you’re learning about the other person and planning your dream date simultaneously by being able to suggest amazing meet-ups on the app.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

5. Her

How it works: First you must create a profile, and then if you like someone else’s profile and they like yours back you can chat with each other. Through the newsfeed and event page you can comment on events you’d like to attend and articles you like in order to strike up a conversation with other users before going on a date with them.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes, this app is specifically geared towards lesbian and bisexual women.

What sets it apart: The app doesn’t just have matches and profiles. There is also a newsfeed and an events page so you can meet your matches offline and share LGBT+ articles, videos, and funny Buzzfeed articles of your choice with them.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

6. Wing Ma’am

How it works: Similar to OKCupid, Wing Ma’am has users answer profile questions to let others know more about them. Similar to Her, this app also has an events feed for LGBT-specific meet-ups, concerts, and other events. Unlike these other apps, Wing Ma’am has filters where users can sort matches by gender, sexuality, and relationship preference spectrum including queer, questioning, genderqueer, trans, intersex, polyamorous, and asexual individuals. The app also offers the option of double dates, and it is definitely one of the most inclusive apps available on the market currently.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes, the app is specifically geared towards LGBT women.

What sets it apart: Wing Ma’am is designed for and by LGBT women, and, just like Tinder and many of the other apps on this list, it is a location based app. The difference between Wing Ma’am and other lesbian dating apps is that this app is more open to bisexual and transgender women. Like the Her app, Wing Ma’am seeks to be more than just a hook-up app for LGBT women.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

7. Thurst

How it works: Thurst is currently in Beta mode, but if launched it would be a location-based dating app. It also allows those in the queer community to set advanced security settings and filters for many things relevant to individuals and their dating lives.

Is the app LGBT+ Friendly? Yes, the app is open to queer folk of all gender expressions.

What sets it apart: This app offers privacy filters for trans and nonbinary users, a wider range of gender pronouns, relationship styles, and advanced security options so users that are trolling or being offensive can be reported and blocked from the community.

Device availability: iPhone & Android.

Did we leave one out? Comment below and let us know what your favorite dating app is!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.