free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Wondering On How To Get The PERFECT Job?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

As we progress through our college careers, the importance of applying to jobs and internships becomes vital. However, some college students may not be familiar with the ins and outs when it comes to actually applying, as well as the after process. I’ve created a list of helpful tips to keep in mind when going through the process.

1. Job Websites: Glassdoor, Indeed, and LinkedIn are just some of my favorite resources to use when searching for jobs. Each of these websites includes a large list of search criteria to help narrow down your preferences. These websites are also very easy to navigate and are useful for trying to find that perfect job.

2. Portfolio: It’s very crucial to have your own portfolio. I recently purchased one that has a pocket to put your resume, cover letter, etc. as well as a notepad to jot down some notes. Having a portfolio allows you to be very prepared and organized for interviews—and hey, who wouldn’t want to look professional!

3. Documents: Most job applications require you to submit a resume and a cover letter. Occasionally, they may ask you to have a list of references. When it comes to your resume, do NOT put every little thing you’ve done throughout your high school and college career. Keep it simple, yet professional. Employers only care about the important stuff, not if you were on a club soccer team in 9th grade. Also, more importantly, NEVER LIE ON YOUR RESUME—this won’t do anyone good. In addition, your cover letter is pretty much a summary of your resume. The cover letter addresses your past work experiences, skills, as well as why you would be a good asset to the company you’re applying for. It should be addressed to a hiring manager and include 2-3 paragraphs. Lastly, your list of references should include individuals you have a close relationship with. For instance, a past employer or professor would be strong references.

4. Interviews: Several of you may have gone to an interview at least once in your life. Individuals going to an interview should be dressed in business casual. They should be dressed in something comfortable, not something they may regret because it’s too itchy, or just overall not suiting.

My name is Taryn DiRocco, and I'm a sophomore at SUNY Oneonta. I'm currently studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. I'm from Smithtown, Long Island, and I enjoy pizza, the beach, Grey's Anatomy, and traveling. 
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).