nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Take Away My Happiness: I Dare You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

There are so many people in this day and age that try to take away my happiness; but it’s time I stand up for myself and I stand up for the people around me, to voice this and acknowledge the importance of staying true to who YOU are.

No one, and I mean no one has the right to take away your happiness. Those people that talk down to you, or do so behind your back are the people that are simply jealous of your happiness and will sadly do anything in their power to take that from you.

We’ve all been through it. Your smile is destroyed by that girl on the internet who won’t stop putting you down, that stranger at work who blames the high prices on you (the cashier), the boy who insults you because he realizes you’re way too good for him, or just that random stranger who is having a bad day so they decide you should too. What you need to do to shut them up is show your power and keep that smile on your beautiful face.

It’s natural to gain happiness from material things, like that new house you just bought, the new car, or the new trendy shirt all your friends are wearing. It’s natural to be tied to a crush or loved one who you think owns your happiness. It’s natural to put all your happiness in something or someone, but it’s time we break that trend. Show yourself that your happiness comes from within, and you will make a change in this world.

I no longer care what my crush thinks of my hair, what that random girl in my class thinks of my outfit, or what my mom’s best friends brothers son’s dog thinks of what I do with my life. Did you hear that? MY life.

To the one’s who are trying to steal my happiness, I wish you the absolute best in life as you try to deal your own sadness by bringing people down. I hope you realize that just because you are the “funny” one in front of that group of guys, or you look like the “tough” one on the Internet, I want you to realize you look pathetic. I really hope you find happiness in yourself, so you can stop trying to take it from other people.

You can try, but I’m done letting you win.

Life gets hard. You are and will be riding along a bumpy road your entire life, so strap on your seat belt and hold on tight, because your life is way too precious to let little bumps get in your way.

I am an early childhood education/childhood education major (B-6) with a concentration in English. I love writing and working with kids!
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen