Score Your Perfect Internship!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The title “intern” has many stigmas to it.  While some people believe interns are only good for fetching coffee and answering phones, the right internship could be a very valuable experience.   Whether it’s paid or unpaid, the value of the experience and knowledge you inherit from the internship is irreplaceable.  This summer I interned with a wedding planner, La Bella Planners, and I cannot say enough great things about it!  This was my first internship, but not my first time applying for them.  Throughout my MANY applications I have learned some new tips and tricks along the way.

1. APPLY TO A LOT & APPLY EARLY! 

It sounds over dramatic but last summer I applied to an upward of thirty and only got offered one internship position.  Companies have so many applicants that sometimes they do not even see your application or sadly, somebody stands out more than you.  There is nothing wrong with sending a follow up email stating you sent in an application and expressing your sincere interest in the position.  However, some application will say no emails- so keep an eye out for that!  Applying early shows a greater interest; even if it’s too early maybe they’ll take note of you for when the time comes for the review process of applications.  My plan to find another internship this summer is to apply by October/November. 

2. HAVE A SOLID COVER LETTER & RESUME

Your cover letter is a perfect place to introduce yourself and what you could contribute to the company or organization you want to intern with.  It should fill in places that your resume doesn’t cover and also further explain some aspects of your resume you want to highlight.  This is where you can really show off you skills and separate yourself from the rest of the applicants.  Resumes are a brief listing of your past experiences and skills.  You should always make a header with all of your contact information.  You can vary your sections depending on what works best, but the basics are usually: education, work experience, skills and achievements.  There are many online resources to help with the format of resumes and the Career Development Center at Oneonta can help you as well!

3. BE OPEN MINDED! 

Depending on what profession you want to go into, you may have to work your way up the “ladder.”  Getting an “in” at a company may help in the future to advance your career. Don’t feel doubtful if you’re not “in” yet.

4. DO YOUR RESEARCH! 

Especially if you get an interview, know the company!  Go on the companies website and see what it’s all about and what to expect.  This is also a perfect time to think of questions to ask.  Asking the right questions shows your interviewer the interest you have in the company.  Some good general questions are: “what is the job like day to day?” Or even ask something personal like, what their favorite thing about the company is.  If you’re away at school and you have an over-the-phone interview, it’s even better because you can have all your notes and questions in front of you for easy access to remember!

5. FOLLOW UP! 

After your interview, send the interviewer an email thanking them for their time and expressing your eagerness!  It’s the little things that make you stand out!

SUNY Oneonta class of 2017
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).