This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Summer camp is a childhood phenomenon. There are movies, book, and even songs about it. Ten years ago I was lucky enough to go to sleep away camp for the first time, and I haven’t missed a summer since. Camp is a special niche where kids can still be kids, and there are endless benefits and opportunities it gives campers. Here are just a few I consider myself lucky to have experience, as both a counselor and a staff member.

1. Simplicity

My camp, like many others, are tech free. Phones are put away, no computers, just nature, games, and human interactions. It allows us to focus on what is really important and stop counting our Instagram likes for a bit.

2. Positivity

With it being tech free, a lot of stress is taken away. Camp is all about being happy and having fun, which is an amazing and contagious environment to be immersed in.

3. Independence

Camp was the first time I was away from my family for more than a day or two. It taught me how to handle myself and take responsibility. I’m not much better with handling change because I was taught how to adjust in such a supportive environment.

4. Confidence & Strong Sense of Self

As an adolescent, one of the hardest things to face is figuring out who you are. Camp gives kids a fresh slate.  There are no expectations or judgments. You’re encouraged to be yourself, your strengths are valued, and everyone helps grow each other’s weaknesses.

5. Leadership & Team Building

Having a better sense of who you are  makes you a better leader. Camp is often based around a team mindset. You have to consider what strengths everyone brings and how you can best utilize them to face a challenge, when doing that you get to see your best strengths at play too!

6. Coping Strategies

Without your family there with you and living in communal spaces, it can be hard to hide when problems or conflicts arise. You may not get along with a bunkmate, you may hate an activity that’s scheduled, or maybe you just really miss home. At camp you learn to keep going. You learn to accept inconveniences, respect others’ wants and likes, and find happiness regardless.

7. Spirituality

My camp is a faith based one, and while I don’t personally identify with an organized religion, going to a camp focused on nurturing values was amazing for me growing up. I was never told what to believe or think, but I was asked questions I had never considered before. I saw more love at work than I ever had before. My camp’s environment was always supportive and encouraging. It allowed me to grow personally and spiritually.

8. Friends

The friends I made at camp are some of the most important people in my life. I met my best friends (pictured above: hey Zach & Devin!) when I was just 13 years old, and this photo is from when I was 20 when we were all still back at camp. Whether it be return staff members, camp reunions, or just who I’ve stayed close with, the people camp brought into my life are wonderful people that I am so lucky to have.

When people used to ask me what I wanted to major in in college I would joke and say “camp.” Little did a know camp was an actual full time profession. Many people thought I was wasting my time spending all my summers working at camp instead of looking for other internships, but now following graduation I have plans to go into the camp field full time. Camp teaches kids they can follow their dreams, and for me it gave me a dream to follow.

HCXO, Keri

My name is Keri Johnson and I am a senior communications studies major at SUNY Oneonta. I'm origianly from Long Island and love hiking, reading, and meeting new people. As a sorority girl, coffee addict, and seasonal camp coordinator I make sure to stay busy, but always find time for my friends and my dog!
Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!