This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celeb: Sarah Waxberg!

Year: Sophomore

Major: Music Industry

Hometown: Commack, New York

HC: What drove you to choose Oneonta for your college education?

SW: I really liked the look of the campus because I didn’t want a city setting. There’s also only a handful of schools with a music industry major, and Oneonta was the only school with a great music program that wasn’t based in the city. I felt like I could really have a “college experience” here.

HC: There’s so much to get involved in here outside of classes- what organizations do you involve yourself in on campus?

SW: I’m an active member in the Music Industry Club, and Rock to Cure. Music Industry Club is the organization that puts on all the music shows on campus, besides the fall concert and OH-Fest. Rock to Cure pretty much does the same thing, except that the profits from the shows go to charities supporting local cancer research facilities.

HC: Are there any organizations you spend time on that aren’t organized by the school?

SW: I work with a clothing brand called Not Yours Apparel that focuses on different issues that need to be addressed in the music scene. We’re currently focusing on sexual misconduct, assault, and harassment.

HC: Apart from working to help women, what else do you personally have a passion for?

SW: I have a strong passion for music and music photography. I’ve always been drawn to music and loved being able to capture the energy in music through photography.

HC: What’s the best show you’ve attended?

SW: I saw a band called The Wonder Years a bunch of times, they always put on a good show. They played a holiday show last year with Bayside and State Champs and it was an incredible experience. They’re very high energy and the crowd was really active.

HC: Sometimes you perform your own shows. What’s the best part of performing?

SW: Well I’m very new to performing, but I like being on the other side considering I’m usually taking pictures of people performing. I like seeing what it’s like on the stage, I think it helps me get a better understanding of the artists when I’m taking their pictures. It’s also a really big adrenaline rush to get up there and perform.

HC: Finally, if you could choose any artist to photograph, who would it be?

SW: I’d love to be able to shoot for Twenty One Pilots. They move around a lot and jump off of props and do stunts all over the stage. They’re also super passionate about everything they have to say and I’d love to be able to get that in a picture. The fans are also passionate about the music, so it all ties together to create something bigger than a band playing a show. I’d really love to be able to work with them. 

Now that you’ve gotten to know Sarah, go follow her on social media!

@sarahwaxxy (Instagram)

Facebook.com/SarahWaxbergPhotography

Melanie is currently a sophomore studying Human Biology at SUNY Oneonta, and looking to pick up an anthropology minor. Her next big step in life is to move to New York City to attend graduate school where she can continue her education of humans and other cultures. She has a passion for learning about different people and lifestyles around the world, which drives her writing for Her Campus. In her free time she loves to read books by Jodi Picoult, relax on the beach, cook for her family, and of course, write.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen