Fighting the Oneonta Plague: Tips and Tricks to Stay Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

I’m pretty sure everyone on campus these last few weeks has either gotten sick or know someone who has. Everyone started dropping like flies by the second week of school and I was scared that I was going to get sick as well. Last year (believe it or not) I got strep throat five times! So yeah, I’m very aware of the struggle of being very sick.  

Currently, I am feeling healthy and surprisingly not feeling under the weather (knock on wood). This is because I’ve followed my own strict rules and tips for staying healthy while in college. I swear, everything I’ve been doing thus far has really been helping and I urge you to do the same! 

WASH. YOUR. HANDS. 

This is an obvious one, but you really need to get the germs off. Think about all the door handles you touch, school keyboards, chairs, etc. that barely ever get cleaned. Washing your hands is more effective than hand sanitizer but even so, I always carry some with me, especially if I’m planning on getting a bite to eat on campus.  

Drink Tea! 

I drink at least two cups of tea per day and always add honey. Both help your throat and help your immune system. Plus, it makes you drink more water, which is always a great idea. Be sure to stay hydrated with water as well and carry a reusable water bottle with you everywhere you go! 

Do not share cups 

Now that a new semester is starting, I’m sure many of us will want to share drinks or cups, especially when playing drinking games. It’s important that you’re aware that that is probably the easiest way you will get sick. So pick your own cup and use it the whole night! 

Bundle up! 

It is winter, and it is cold outside!! Be sure to take your mother’s advice and wear a hood/hat/scarf while walking to and from class. If your head is exposed to the cold air, you are more likely to get sick. Also, covering you mouth with a scarf helps keep the cold air out of your lungs. 

Feel like you’re catching something? Grab some cold medicine 

If I feel the slightest tingle in my throat, I take a low dose of something. I don’t want to wait until I know I definitely have a cold, I want to fight it before it gets worse. If you find yourself getting a cough, grab some cough drops. 

Get your Flu Shot 

Now this tip you don’t necessarily have to do, because I know many people are either against vaccines like this or do not like getting shots. But if you have never gotten one before or are curious to get one, I will let you know that more pharmacies like Rite Aid and Walgreens, along with the Student Health Center (which is free) are still giving flu shots. The vaccine takes two weeks to get in your system.  

Get sleep! 

Between everything that is college life, it can be difficult getting enough sleep. But honestly, whether it’s a mid-day nap after class or deciding to go to bed an hour earlier, I’ve found myself a lot more energized. 

Hope these tips were helpful! Stay healthy everyone!!! 

-Barbara Parsons 

Barbara Parsons is a previous writer of HC Oneonta, and is now an alumni of SUNY Oneonta. Barbara loves playing rugby, Chinese food, binge-watching How I Met Your Mother, and baby emperor penguins. You can follow Barbara on Twitter and Instagram @BarbaraJoyce3
Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.