david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Must-See Childhood Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Halloween is never complete without movies and even better, movies from your childhood! If you’re a 90’s baby and grew up on Disney Channel you will definelty recognize these titles and want to watch them this Halloween season. Here is a list of some Halloween childhood favorites I will be watching and you should too!

1. Hocus Pocus

This movie was always included in all the Halloween movie marathons growing up so you could never miss it. It follows siblings Max and Dani along with their friend as they set free evil witches who used to live in the house. The kids must steel the witches book of spells to make them immortal.

2. Twitches

Starring the favorite twin sisters at the time, Tia and Tamera Mowry, who also starred in the hit 90’s show, “Sister, Sister”. Watch theses twins find out they have magical powers and earn the clever name “twitches”.

3. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

If you’re like me, this was probably one of the first Halloween movies you ever watched-an oldie but a goody. This one will definitely make you laugh, and who can forget the famous line- “I got a rock”. 

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Any Tim Burton movie is usually perfect for Halloween because of his unique skeletal cartoon characters. Watch Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s pumpkin king, try to bring Christmas to Halloweentown by kidnapping Santa Claus to take over his role.

5. Corpse Bride

Another Tim Burton classic, brought to life using stop-motion animation. It follows Victor and Victoria as their families force them into an arranged marriage. Victor gets a surprise when his “new” wife Emily shows up and tells him she was murdered years ago.

6. Coraline

One of the more recent Halloween movies, but definitely not one to miss. Coraline Jones and her family move into a spooky old house. She discovers a locked door and once she gains access to it, she realizes it leads to a parallel world that mirrors her life but in a horrific way.

7. Harry Potter Series

Not necessarily Halloween movies, but they still embody the Halloween vibe perfectly. Any Harry Potter movie would be a great addition to your Halloween movie night.

8. The Haunted Mansion

This movie will definitely make you laugh because it stars Eddie Murphy who plays Jim Evers, a workaholic real estate agent. When Jim’s wife tells him that he’s not spending enough time with his kids he decides to take the family on a vacation. On their way the family stops at a mansion Jim is asked to sell and they find out it’s haunted!

Jess is from Albany, New York and is currently a sophmore at SUNY Oneonta studying psychology. in her free time she loves to dance, go to concerts, and write! Follow on instagram and twitter (@jess_carlson_)
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen