This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Abbey Edmonson

Although I have not had the pleasure of enjoying an entire school year at the University of Mississippi, I feel like my time here has provided me with a relatively accurate grasp on some of the guy “types” here.  Please note that my opinions in no way should shape your opinions.  There are good things and bad things about everyone!  Also, there are most definitely more guy types here, and pretty much everyone fits into multiple of these categories.  This is just documentation of what I have observed in the past few months.  Without any further ado, let’s proceed.

The Classic “Bro”

This rad dude is that guy who wears shorts year-round and almost always has either a frat shirt or a Southern Marsh shirt on.  He eats, sleeps, and breathes his frat.  You will probably catch him chilling with his bros in a tricked-out truck.  He is addicted to juuling even though he’s never smoked a cigarette before in his life.  He is also now addicted to cigarettes.  He can drink a natty in less than 30 seconds, and he will most definitely brag about it.  A conversation with him is primarily composed of a lot of “dude”, “bro”, and a string of expletives spoken with a strange mixture of country and Californian accents.  He isn’t looking to date anyone right now because he wants to live it up during his freshman year.  He’ll probably end up peaking in college.  If interested, you can hit him up at PCB, Florida during spring break.

The Cool Honors College Dude

This is that guy that is motivated to get his life together, and he tends to be more focused on academics than most other people.  He might be in a frat, but it doesn’t take over every aspect of his day.  This is the guy that is high key “husband material”.  His day usually entails a couple hours in the Great Room at the honors building and maybe a little time in the notorious dungeon as well.  He can pull all-nighters very easily, and he probably has before.  He is a big fan of classic sitcoms like The Office, and his sense of humor reflects that.  He also has an addiction to the video game, Fortnite.  He may be a little shy at first, but when he opens up, he is a pretty cool guy.  School is important to him, but it doesn’t consume him.  He can usually find a pretty good balance with his schoolwork and social life.  If interested, you can probably find him at an internship in DC this summer.

The Sk8er Boi

This dude doesn’t really need an explanation.  He’s just super ~chill~ all the time.  He is definitely not in a frat of any kind because frats are stupid.  His beanie and glasses combo makes him seem really deep.  His ex-girlfriend’s name is Mary Jane, and his favorite day of the year is April 20th.  He probably isn’t into very clingy girls, but on the bright side, you wouldn’t have to worry about showering him with affection!  Most of his time is spent anywhere that is far away from basic people.  Maybe he’s chilling in an Eno by the lake.  His music taste is probably super alternative, and he only listens to bands that aren’t very well known.  If interested, you can try to catch him as he rolls down the sidewalk on his skateboard.  Be careful not to trip on the shoelaces of his five-year-old Converses.

The Odd Ball

This is the guy that just really doesn’t care what anyone thinks of him.  He most likely has a weird haircut, and he has probably done something bold and out of the norm in public.  Maybe he roller-skated through the union, or maybe he stood in the middle of the circle and started screaming at people.  Either way, he just didn’t give a single thought to the reactions of other people around him.  He’s probably a scuba-diving major or something obscure and SUPER useful like that.  Life with him would definitely be an adventure.  If interested, you can catch him literally anywhere in public… he’ll probably be wearing one of those solid-color body suits and a rainbow afro.

So there you go.  Those are my observations.  As I stated before, there are most definitely several other types.  I just haven’t had the opportunity to get to know those types as well as the others.  Also, no one is strictly confined to one type.  Everyone embodies a little bit of everything.  That’s what’s so great about college!

SaveSave

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.