sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

If you’ve ever been in a relationship you know that they are a lot of work. You have to try and make the other person happy while keeping yourself happy. You have to put in effort to look cute for dates. Shaving regularly is something you have to consider. Hardest of all, you have to constantly choose where to eat because “I don’t know” apparently isn’t good enough for some people. Relationships are just a lot of time and energy and if you happen to be in one that you think is worth it then that’s awesome… But this article probably isn’t for those people.

Photo by Ivana Cajina on Unsplash

Being single is awesome. You only have yourself to worry about and don’t need to concern yourself with anyone’s feelings but your own. You can sleep sprawled out like a starfish because you’ve got the bed all to yourself. You don’t have to shave if you don’t want to and you have so much more free time now! You can literally do anything: read a book, write a screenplay, pick up knitting, go bungee jumping. The possibilities are endless!

Being single is only awesome if you let it be awesome. By this I mean. You can’t mope around at home complaining about how much you wish you were in a relationship. You’re doing it wrong. You need to get to the point that you almost feel bad for people in relationships. You learn so much about yourself when you’re not seeking someone else’s approval. You actually learn who you really are when you stop trying to fit into someone else’s mold. Make your own mold! You are molten steel and can take whatever shape you choose. When you let life take over and just exist in it you find that you’re actually so much cooler than you ever could have dreamed. Who knew you were so funny or creative or sarcastic or playful? You did… you just didn’t know that you did because you never really saw yourself until you just let you flow.

You probably don’t want to be single forever and that’s more than fair, but there’s a reason that people say that some of the best things come when you least expect them. If you are 100% yourself and happy being who you are then someone is gonna take notice and have a genuine interest in you. Since they like you for you and not who you’re trying to be to please other people then its more real and if you like them, it could turn into something you never expected.

It’s important to spend time single so you can actually have a successful relationship not just with a significant other but with the people you already care about.

As long as you’re happy and healthy and safe, who cares what anyone else thinks?

SaveSave

Morgan is a social work major with minors in social justice and Spanish at the University of Oklahoma. In her free time, Morgan enjoys reading, writing, getting tattoos, watching Netflix, fighting the patriarchy, and taking naps.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!