A Wonder Woman in Her Own Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I first met Rebecca Ortiz when we both participated in The Vagina Monologues at OSU. That was a year ago, and unfortunately for you poor souls who didn’t get to have a class or act with her, she has graduated. It’s lucky for the students she’s going to be teaching when she moves to Tulsa with Teach For America though. When I asked her where her favorite place to teach would be, she responded, candidly, “Oklahoma isn’t Hawaii, but our state is in serious need. If not us, then who, right?” displaying her empathetic and go-getter attitude toward solving problems. Rebecca was first introduced to Teach For America by a friend, Danielle King, and she’ll be forever grateful. The fact that she’ll be able to work with an organization that “will allow me to lead with the passion I have for social justice while simultaneously working towards educational equity” is a perfect fit for her.

Rebecca dressed up as Frida Kahlo for Halloween!

While she might not have always wanted to be a teacher (she used to answer “2001 Britney Spears or a lawyer” when people asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up), she’s really excited for what her future career has in store. Excited, but understandably nervous, too. “I keep imagining all the pairs of eyes staring at me as they ask me about imaginary numbers and why they need to know the Pythagorean thereom,” she tells me. 

Even if you knew Rebecca for a short time, it’s easy to tell that she’s giong to make an amazing (and very entertaining) teacher, no matter the subject. 

Any last advice? “Peace, love, and the oxford comma,” she leaves us with.

Hannah Littlefield was Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Oklahoma State University for 2 semesters, and she had an amazing team backing her up. During her time as CC, she also wrote for CollegeFashionista and her personal style blog, fefifofhannah.com. She will always remember the wonderful and unique team members she had at HCOS, and will cherish every memory.