My Forever Valentine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Ever since I was 16, I have had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day, meaning I directed my extra love toward the guy in my life. This shift of attention was strongly noticed by my daddy.
          My dad has always called himself my Valentine and made it clear that no other man was allowed to be called that.  Of course, as I grew older, into my I am “too cool for my parents” age, I began to refute that statement, “Oh Austin, Donald, Joseph….. is my valentine.”
         Although I constantly told my Dad he wasn’t my valentine, he still persisted to bring me flowers, candy and jewelry on Feb. 14.
         This year I do have a boyfriend, who of course will be my valentine, but this year, he will have to share me with my dad. I don’t understand why I haven’t been all right with this since I was 16.  What girl doesn’t want two bouquets of flowers and double the chocolate? I need to start thinking more strategically.
         I love my boyfriend and am honored to be his valentine, but he is not my daddy.  My dad is the man that made me the girl my boyfriend loves, so he should have no problem sharing.
         My dad has always been a huge part of my life. He supported every frivolous hobby I tried. I said I wanted to figure skate, and he bought me skates the next day. I said I wanted to do Kung Fu, and he was at every practice and tournament. I said I wanted to be in FFA, and he bought me a sheep even thought he thought it was ridiculous.

My dad is someone that could always make me laugh, whether it be the jokes he makes up (he thinks he is a comedian) or requesting I call him “Gorgeous Al Bitchin.” Then there are always the constant reminders that I get my good looks from him.
         My dad has always been a helpful man. Every boyfriend I have had my dad has tried to help. One of my boyfriends was thinking of joining the army, so my dad pulled out all of his old army memorabilia to show him how honorable a service it is.
         My current boyfriend is a construction management major and my dad owns a construction company. My dad calls me to have my boyfriend go to meetings with him and my dad has scheduled for him to go work with him. He has also told my boyfriend if he doesn’t find an internship, he would love for him to come work for him and he can introduce him to people in the industry.
          My challenge for every girl this Valentines Day is to include their dad or the male figure in their lives in the pink hearts and red roses holiday. A lot of girls sulk because they are single and have no valentine, but all they have to do is open their eyes and see that their valentine has been there since the day they were born. 

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.
Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.