Meet Miss Black OSU 2016 Alicia Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Recently, Oklahoma State University inducted a new royal member into the long heritage of Miss Black OSU.

Who is this wonderfully lady that took home 2016-2017’s title? Keep reading to find out!

~~~~

Miss Black OSU 2016-2017 is Alicia Johnson, a sophomore here at Oklahoma State.

While studying here at OSU, she has declared her major as Human Development and Family Sciences with an option in Pre-Med, and is a leader in and out of the classroom. 

Between serving on the exceutive board of the African-American Student Asscioation, being a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, Minority Women’s Asscioation, and Oklahoma Advocates Involved in Monitoring for Disablities, Alicia is definitely passionate about serving her fellow OK State students and the community, but her journey to royalty did not start here.

About an hour north, you will find a town named Tulsa, Oklahoma where our Miss Black OSU was born and raised. Soon she decided to leave home, and attend Oklahoma State University, where she has become the first in her family to enroll full-time, and become an active member on a university campus. Alicia stated, “I became active on campus to show my cousins that no matter what you do, you can always set your mind to see it through; My journey lets them know that what they want to do is on the other side of fear.”

When Alicia is done with her time here at OSU,  she plans to futher her education at Baylor College of Medicine, where she hopes to one day become an OB-GYN.

So what won this fearless beauty the competition?

Thats simple: her passion for always going against the odds of society. 

Going Against The Odds is the platform that Alicia will be launching during her 2016-2017 reign. Going Against The Odds will encourage the student body to break out of their comfort zone, and develop a sense of diversity. This platform will also promote diversity inclusion starting in the school system based off of her love for Stillwater High School’s African-American Student Association. “They are so diverse,” she stated, “and they inspire me in every way to establish my platform Going Against The Odds.” Soon Alicia hopes that launching her program through the Stillwater school system will one day encourage diversity in the whole Stillwater community.

When asked about her new title she stated, ” I was honestly suprised that I even won! Backstage I was so nervous, and everytime I went out I knew I had messed up. Honestly I was rooting for my friends more, because I admired their confidence, and their personalities. Overall this has been a very humbling experience, and I have discovered who I truly am through the process.” But Alicia isn’t the only one holding a title within the African-American community.

This year she has along side her the first Mr. Black OSU, which was won by senior Anthony Hardimon. When asked about her new partner in royalty she stated, “I like having a Mr. Black OSU. We created a good bond during the weeks leading to the pagent, and when we won we both told each other “We made it.” I look forward to collaborating with him, and providing for our black community.”

Alicia Johnson is a woman that I myself am proud to call my Miss Black OSU 2016-2017, and I hope you are just as excited to see the impact she will make on our campus!

Congratulations to our Queen, Alicia Johnson!

~~~~

“Don’t be afraid to do anything, even if you have the slightest thought of achevieing your goals, then go for them whether you think you can or not. Remember to keep your faith, because my faith in God is what holds me together. For without him nothing would be possible.”  

– Miss Black OSU 2016-2017 Alicia Johnson

Twitter: @MissBlackOSU

Jasmine Fain

OK State '19

Is a Senior at the BRIGHTEST campus in the nation Oklahoma State University. She is a Professional Writing major with a Minor in Linguistics. Check out her articles each week to keep up to date on the many fun things that OSU has to offer. In your spare time also check out her blog LIVINGWITHJ to catch a preview of her life!