It’s Going Down, I’m Yelling Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Our generation has become addicted to a fast-paced lifestyle—and dating is no exception. Although speed dating is definitely not a new concept, it does have a new twist. New phone apps such as Tinder and Hot or Not have allowed those who are “single and ready to mingle” to have instant access to other local singles and rank them based on their attractiveness with a single swipe of a finger. Her Campus found some collegiettes on Oklahoma State’s campus that had a few experiences with these popular dating apps.

“I was bored and decided to create a Tinder account after my boyfriend and I broke up. It was all fun and games until I had a homecoming meeting for my sorority and one of the fraternity homecoming directors was one of the guys who had messaged me on Tinder the night before. I just got real awkward and pretended like I had no idea who he was.”

“I was on Tinder and I saw this guy that I had seen in one of my classes. He’s really cute and when we ended up being a “match” I was really excited. He ended up messaging me and wanted to hang out and since I had known him from class, I wasn’t too sketched out by it. We’ve gone on several dates now and it’s going really well. I just don’t like telling people that we first started talking on Tinder, it’s kind of embarrassing.”

“My friends decided to make a fake Hot or Not profile using one of my senior pictures without me knowing about it. They named her “Diamond” and “liked” literally every guy on there. They gave them my phone number and for several days I got a lot of “junk mail” and weird messages asking if I was Diamond. Some of the guys even dropped pins and offered to pay me money to come visit them. I was so confused until I realized what they had done. There are some real creeps out there.”

As with any type dating, there are pros and cons—as well as awkward encounters—that can result when using these apps. If you’re bored and want to venture out to meet new people, Tinder might just be worth that download. Also, before physically meeting up with any of the people you might happen to come across on Tinder, you might want to make sure you download the Find My Friends app as well—better safe than sorry.