How to Revive These Four Common Leftovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

College can really push a budget.  When deciding if keeping some leftovers is worth it, consider if the actual food can be revived for another meal.  Here are four common leftovers and how to spice them up when on a budget:

1.       Pizza

The beautiful, the cheap, the leftover in abundance.  My personal opinion is that leftover pizza tastes best cold, but for those who want to reheat their cheesy wonder, how can quality be maintained?  One of the best ways to attempt recreating its original crispy crust is to put a glass of water in the microwave along with your pizza.  Besides that, adding toppings to enhance the flavor never hurt anyone.

2.       Ramen Noodles

Ah, the college staple.  It is not often necessary to save leftover ramen, but if needed the best way to revive the cheap noodles is by simply adding a little spice.  A common recommendation is Sriracha Sauce, although nearly any preferred flavor should work.  Besides that, before storing it is best to drain the noodles of any extra broth, to try and avoid too much saturation.

3.       Macaroni and Cheese

Whether made from a box or ordered at a restaurant, mac and cheese is an easy fix.  After storing, the cheese sauce tends to dry up a bit, making the meal less smooth.  Flatten out the leftovers onto a plate, and pour just a tiny bit of milk on top before microwaving.  Viola, cheesy heaven once again.

4.       French Fries

No matter how delicious the day before, it’s difficult to recreate the French fry experience.  If possible, avoid the use of a microwave.  The stove is always best if oil is available, but if not the oven should work as well.  Try it at 450°F for 2-3 minutes.  And always remember:  when in doubt, just add ketchup.

Lover of baking, traveling, and all things pretty