He Isn’t Ever Coming Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Kris Allen, winner of American Idol season eight, was the headliner for After Dark OSU. For a headliner, he barely got the southern hospitality he deserved. 

After Dark is a special, Christian-inspired, one-night event, “where music and message meet.” It’s an event for students at campuses across the nation. It came to Oklahoma State University’s Gallagher Iba Arena on Oct. 8.

The day before, Allen tweeted, “Headed to Stillwater y’all! Who’s comin to the show tomorrow! Oklahoma State University. Should be fun guys. Come on out.”

It got 103 re-tweets and 32 favorites. At least a small part of OSU was excited.

He was the last entertainer coming on stage at 10:30 to a much smaller crowd than the first performer, hip-hop artist, Fedel and second performer, speaker, Joe White. He didn’t seem to mind. It was his own ‘coffee shop concert’ so he could relax and be himself.

About three songs in, he offered to choose three volunteers to dance on stage. The students at OSU took that as, “please everyone in the audience, get on stage NOW.” It was crammed to say the least. The poor guy just rolled with it. When the song finished, he thanked his ‘great dancers and choir,’ which was code for, “OK, it’s been fun, but get off now.”

( This photo was taken after the concert)

The exit from the stage was far from orderly. All 50 or so people ran around the stage snapping ‘selfies’ with the band members and with even Kris. Each picture had a goofy expression. He couldn’t even muster a smile. After 10 minutes of the chaos, he started playing his guitar, just as the music begins when an actress’s Grammy speech is too long. They all got off eventually, even the awkward last girl who was still taking a picture when he was ready to play.

Shortly after, it felt like a concert again and Allen hadn’t lost his cool. But it wasn’t over yet. The floor was crowded with people in front of the stage, like any concert, but the audience was abruptly informed to return to their seats. And again, the exit was far from orderly. Chaos ensued again. Half the audience left, girls took pictures, boys asked girls to dance and students stood chatting. Kris Allen was in the middle of a concert! He just kept playing and singing to almost no one. His shout out to “Oklahoma,” mid-song barely got a cheer.

It began as a night for fellowship, fun, learning about Jesus and a free concert from a great artist. It was either too late, students were too restless, or he wasn’t big enough. Either way, Kris Allen should have left with the glow of Southern hospitality and Christian values from OSU. Instead he left with the sting of insensitivity.

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.