Coaches Vs. Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

This past Sunday a group of Orange Pride members, along with other Oklahoma State athletes, joined together to celebrate a birthday bash sponsored by the American Cancer Society and Coaches Vs. Cancer. 

Coaches vs. Cancer evolved from a concept championed by Norm Stewart, former head coach of the University of Missouri’s men’s basketball program, cancer survivor and member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The American Cancer Society and the NABC adopted that concept in 1993 and transformed it into a nationwide effort to unite coaches across the country in the common mission to provide help and hope to all people facing cancer.

Today the American Cancer Society and Coaches vs. Cancer have brought athletes closer to children fighting the frightening battle with cancer. Oklahoma State athletes take frequent visits to the University of Oklahoma Children’s Hospital, where the children are admitted, and spend individual time with them on organized visits to our campus. Some of these outstanding athletes include former cowboys wide receiver, Justin Blackmon, inside receiver Tracy Moore, and defensive lineman, Cooper Bassett.

While the most difficult days for these beautiful children are spent inside the walls of a hospital, Sunday was different from such days. It was a day for them to forget all about cancer and indulge in various stimulating activities while spending time with their favorite cowboys and cowgirls. The afternoon was not only limited to games, but also included private dance lessons form our very own Mike Gundy, as he performed his acclaimed, “Teach Me How to Gundy”, private photos sessions with Pistol Pete, and Joe and Buffy, the mascots for a local restaurant called Eskimo Joe’s. Wondrous balloon animals and creations accompanied the children while they moved from one station to the next.

The atmosphere, the food, and the company were enough to take these children to a heaven and help construct memories they will continue to cherish throughout their journey. The pride and satisfaction of playing such a role in the lives of the children is a great reminder of the difference just a simple encouraging gesture can make.

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.