etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Before Spring Break, Oklahoma State University counseling psychology graduate student, Blanche Sumner, described her vacation plans for a chance to win prizes in the Her Campus – OK State social media giveaway. Sumner’s winning answer involved a description of a “hot air balloon ride”, “backpacking AZ”, “bestie time” and “hiking with my dog”. Now that she is back from Spring Break, did her trip live up to her expectations?

After speaking with Sumner post-Spring Break, it seems her trip not only ended up being fun but also enlightening.

“I wanted this Spring Break to be about more than partying and instant pleasure,” Sumner says. “I wanted it to be about our growth as people. I wanted us to find who we are and connect with our souls and the world around us.”

The “we” Sumner describes is her “bestie”, Kelsey Ramb, who made the “pilgrammage” with her. Originally from Tahlequah, Oklahoma, Sumner was excited to see a different part of the country and traveling the Southwest with her best friend and their two dogs, her “fluffy-butted corgi” and Ramb’s “lovable mix breed puppy”, made the journey even more special. 

Sumner describes how she and Ramb started off west on Route 66, exploring towns like Weatherford, Oklahoma, stopping at landmarks like The Texan restaurant and Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas, and taking a break to walk the pups in Shamrock, Texas.

(Above: Sumner and dog Gearhart at Cadillac Ranch)

Sumner and Ramb also stopped in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for a night, met up with one of Sumner’s family friends, and spent the evening prepping to camp and hike. The next morning, Sumner and Ramb attended a hot air balloon rally (but unfortunately didn’t get to ride in one) before taking off for Sedona, Arizona. 

After reaching Arizona, Sumner was surprised at the variety of colors and landscapes the Arizona desert had to offer and how beautiful it all was. 

“I don’t think either of us expected to fall in love with an “arid” desert, but, all the same, we did,” Sumner says. “I think that because we went into Arizona with the right intentions, the earth opened itself up and showed us its secrets.”

(Above Sumner and her dog)

While most of her plans went “according to plan”, Sumner acknowledges there were a few unexpected surprises. The hot air ballon ride she wanted to take so badly but ended up not being able to go on ended up saving her money to use elsewhere. Sumner and Ramb instead treated themselves to a night on the town in Albuquerque and found their way to a speakeasy (complete with a password and hidden door).

Sumner explains that although the reward of leaving town for Spring Break was much needed, the return offered even greater (and unexpected) benefits.

“The best part about coming back was that we came back healthier,” Sumner says. “We were in sync with the sun and the earth, we were closer as friends, our dogs were better behaved, and we knew more about ourselves.”

The worst part she explains was the fact that she felt they left so much “undone” in Arizona. Sumner wants to return to hike through the canyons and mountains, spend more time with the friends she and Ramb made along the way, and to make more amazing discoveries about the Arizona desert and about herself. She’s not worried about it though as she explains, “I’m young, so I can go back anytime.”