#AskAndy : What is the best way to get a dog?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I love this question, someone out there knows I am a dog person (fanatic). Now let’s assume you’ve already decided a dog will fit into your life and that way we can focus on the avenues to getting your dog and the pros and cons associated.

Basically there are four common ways to go about obtaining your fur-ever friend. Those being rescue agencies, shelters (animal welfare, the pound, etc.), breeders, and with listings (Craigslist, newspapers, etc.) each carrying unique advantages and disadvantages.

1.      Rescues

This Ad is from ARF Tulsa  

Pros: The dog you get from a rescue agency has likely been fostered and looked after for some time before you’ll ever see it. This means someone has already trained the dog, learned their personality and taken care of any medical issues the dog may have.

Cons: Rescues have a reputation for being hard to work with. The job of being a foster parent demands a person whom wants absolute happiness for their dogs and therefor are not quick to give them to just anyone.

Verdict: Getting a dog from a rescue means you know exactly what you’re getting yourself into, and though you may have to jump through hoops to get the dog you want at least you know that means the rescue cares about the animals well-being.

2.      Shelters

It can be hard not to take them all home

Pros: The dog will be cheap, even if it is a full-bred and you get the gratification of saving a life. Additionally most shelters are just trying to get dogs in and out and are not likely to investigate if you and you’re dog are compatible before signing it over to you (pro and con I guess?).

Cons: The dog you meet at the shelter is seldom going to act the same as it will a few months after you own it so you can’t always asses their personality. Also the dog may have hidden health issues the shelter didn’t notice due to the rate at which dogs come and go form their care.

Verdict: Shelter dogs are a coin-toss, you may get lucky and get the best dog for the lowest price, or you may get a unhealthy terror.

3.      Breeders

There is something about those perfect pure-breeds

Pros: Breed standards are pretty strict so you can often have an idea of the temperament of the dog you’re getting and what it will look like. Any good breeder will also tell you all about the dog’s lineage including family history or health problems.

Cons: Full-breeds are known to have more health issues than mutts. A breeder dog will be expensive if it’s good, like really expensive sometimes. Every puppy is different, yours still may behave nothing like its parents and you won’t know until it’s too late,

Verdict: Breeders are an awesome safe bet if you’re willing to pay for it.

4.      Listings

Fetching your dog from the paper

Pros: You may get a unique mutt or a quality pure-bred for a lower cost.

Cons: Even more so than a shelter-pup a listing dog may have all kinds of health issues. Often all you hear about the dog in question is coming from the person trying to get rid of them. Avoid backyard breeders trying to make money (often not AKC).

Verdict: Their will be diamonds in the rough, but always do your homework before getting a listing dog and don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions, if something seems like it doesn’t add up it probably doesn’t..