6 (FUN) Things to do if You’re Under 21 in a Big City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

6 (FUN) Things to Do If You’re Under 21 in a Big City

I recently went on a trip to Austin, Texas with some friends who were a few years older than me, which went great… Until I realized that drinking or going to bars was a large portion of what everyone wanted to (and could) do. So, I went exploring and came up with a list of fun (and cheap!) things to do when you’re underage, visiting a big city.  

1. Coffee Time

Even if coffee isn’t really your thing, café’s and coffee shops also make fresh pastries and other fun goodies! They also have a pretty chill vibe about them, which is a great setting for those creative juices to flow. Take time to be you, and just relax.

2. Find Local Art

Bring out your inner photographer by finding local murals or sites and taking pictures of your friends by them. The average smartphone has countless photo editing apps, too. You’ll look like a pro on Instagram.

3. Go to a Museum

Most cities, especially largely populated ones, are constantly trying to display their best works and talents. Google near by museums and see what all you can find. (You’d be surprised at the amount of options you have to choose from.)

4. Window Shopping

Chances are if you’re under 21, you probably are in school or working a part time job. (Beyoncé started at the bottom, too.) Shopping sprees can be depressing if you’re lacking in the money department, so try to window shop or find the oddest store in your area. Larger cities tend to have long strips of clothing and décor stores; there is bound to be weird one out there somewhere.

5. See a Starter Band

Concert tickets for big name artists are expensive and hard to come across! Look on social media or for flyers around restaurants and shops in the area for bands that are still trying to get their names out. There will usually be show nearby. Pay the cover charge and you’re in!

6. Food Trucks

Food trucks are in. Finally, it’s cool to eat cheap tacos out of a weird truck in an alley. These spectacular vehicles are all unique in style and taste, and will most likely be a lot cheaper than sit down dining. Go out with a group of friends and sample weird foods from across the nation, all within a few feet from each other. 

No matter what your age, every city has something new and exciting to offer! You just have to know where to start looking.