10 Things I Wish I Could Have Warned High School Me About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Lately, I’ve been reflecting on my time as a freshman in college thus far and all I can think about it all the things that I wish I had known before packing up my things and moving out of the house to a town I had only been to twice. Here are my top ten things I would warn myself about if only I could.

1. You will make terrible choices when it comes to eating.

You don’t live under anyone’s roof now, so you are left to fend for yourself. In the last few months I have consumed more late night coffees and random burgers at any point of the day than I ever have in my entire life. I just about cry anytime a homemade meal is up for grabs.

2. Those Pinterest packing lists are slightly lying to you.

I planned for months and remade my packing list about 100 times to narrow it down to the absolute best items, at the best bargain. Little did I know that I would have zero idea what I would actually need until I got there and moved in. I didn’t need: an ironing board. I did need: snacks and extension cords.

3. Your friends will change.

I have experienced this more lately than when I first moved to college. Suddenly those long conversations you couldn’t wait to have seem to become shorter and shorter with each meet up. Changes in schedule, majors, interests, and hobbies will create distance. That doesn’t mean you won’t always be friends. But, people DO change.

4. No one cares.

I spent my first semester of college, constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering if people thought I fit in, or thought what I was wearing looked okay. News flash to every girl out there: no one cares. People are too busy with their own lives to give the slightest of cares.

5. Your home might feel a little different.

In my mind, my family would stay the same when I left for school, and then life would resume as normal when I returned. But, people have their own lives. My Mom started taking more classes, my Dad got into fitness, and my (not so) little brother, grew a foot and started running track. Just like you, your family will continue to change. Appreciate the time you have with them now.

6. You can do what makes YOU happy.

I have spent a lot of my life, trying to please others. College is the first place where you really get to decide who you want to be, not what anyone else wants. So, go out and try new things. It can be scary, but that’s a part of growing up.

7. You should never doubt how amazing you are.

I just assumed that the fact that I was a freshman would really hold me back from opportunities in college, but it’s been quite the opposite. By showing that I care and that I’m ready for any type of challenge has brought great experiences into my life.

8. Always surround yourself with people that really matter.

True friendships will last the test of distance and change. Don’t surround yourself with a lot of fake people that will only please you momentarily. Look for those few friends who really understand you, and will always have your back at the end of the day.

9. Learn to let the little things go.

After many shed tears and stressed out planning, I realized that some parts of my life are simply out of my control. There’s no use in fretting over the small things when college is an amazing place to do much bigger, more important things.

10. Whether you want to admit it or not, you will miss high school.

Cherish every moment would be my biggest advice to my old self. I work everyday now to find a little bit of happiness, even on the cloudiest days because I know that SOME day, I will miss certain stresses, long nights, and crazy weekends, just like I miss little things from the past, now.

The thing about the “good old days” is the fact that you never know when you’re in them. If I could go back in time to warn myself of anything, I wouldn’t say too much. There’s a certain excitement and thrill about not knowing what tomorrow holds.