The 10 People You Meet in OSU Lecture Halls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Okay, I have to vent. I recently noticed that Oklahoma State is home to many different types of humans, and the best place to find the widest spread would have to be a large lecture hall. You know you can’t deny seeing these people everyday.

1.     The Hand Raiser

This is the person in class that literally always has their hand in the air. The professor could answer their question 4 other times, but as soon as anything might seem unclear, BOOM hand goes up. The Hand Raiser is also usually the one to share intimate details about their life and how they think it relates to the class. Watch out for the Hand Raiser. If they love attention like most people do, you won’t be getting out of class early, ever.

2.     The Texter (with their sound on)

Oh, I’m sorry. Is my text tone interfering with your learning? Good. Not only do I basically sit in class doing nothing but texting my millions of friends, I also want everyone to know about it, too. Is it 9am? I think I need to wake up the world with my repetitive clicking.

3.     The Sleeper

Seriously, bro. Go back to bed. The only exception to this guy would be for those 8am courses that require attendance. If that is your unlucky case, then bring me a pillow, too.

4.     The Talker

OKAY. This is the worst type of person there is. Listen to me closely. If you SHOW up to class, and TALK the entire time, just know that you are up there on my list of people to destroy. Why even come to class? You’re not learning, and now I know way too much about your dog, your relationship problems, and all of your summer plans.

5.     The Complainer

You know this person when you hear them from all the way across the room. Why is it so shocking that we learn in class every single day? Of course we are taking notes. Of course we will probably have homework. OF COURSE the professor is going to speak. I have the privilege of meeting one of these fine individuals in real life last week as she complained about how much the professor lectures in class…. These people got into the same University you did.

6.     The Copier

If you’ve never had your neighbor literally lean over to look at your screen/notebook every five seconds to write down your answers/notes, then consider yourself one of the lucky ones. I wonder if they know that all of the same information that I’m writing down is the same as the huge letters projected at the front of the room…

7.     The Chair Nudger

This is pretty self-explanatory. This guy is the worst.

8.     The “THIS IS MY MAJOR” Guy

Although this is a rare species, I have run into a few of these humans lately. These people in particular are just so very proud of their major that they have to let everyone else in the room know that they are inferior for even being in their presence. “I got an A on the exam because this is my major.” “The professor already knows me because this is my major.” “I am the best at ___________ because it’s my major.” Sigh.

9.     The Over-Sleeper

I can be guilty of this, but not nearly as much as some people. You can almost guarantee their panicked look when they walk in the door, just like every other day, hair a mess, with none of the needed utensils. Does this happen? Of course, because college is rough. But, to all my friends out there who show up at least 25 minutes late EVERY single time, just don’t even bother. Drop out while you can still take the W.

10. The Absentee

You know who I’m talking about, right? Probably not. This ghost of a college student won’t be in class until there’s an exam or a final. Suddenly your lecture hall normally full of 75 people has 300 in it. Where ya been??

And last but not least, there’s you. Whether you fit into none of these categories or you’re guilty of all of them combined, you still have to deal with some of the worst people ever. Don’t worry. The semester is almost over. We can finish strong, right?