Women to Watch at the 84th Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This Sunday a total of 40 women have been nominated in 16 of the 24 categories at The Oscars. Of those only 14 are returning nominees. One thing is for certain: all eyes will be watching Meryl Streep. Not only is she nominated for Best Actress for The Iron Lady but also on February 22 she was announced as a presenter at The Oscars as well. This year’s nomination will be her 17th, the most for any performer in Oscar history. In 1979 she was awarded Supporting Actress for her role in Kramer vs. Kramer and Best Actress for Sophie’s Choice in 1982.

Those joining Streep include: 10 time nominee Sandy Powell for Costume Design (Hugo), nine time nominee Agnieszka Holland for Foreign Language Film (Poland “In Darkness”) and seven time nominee Thelma Schoonmaker for Film Editing (Hugo).

What woman am I most unexpectedly rooting for? Kristin Wiig. She and Annie Mumolo are nominated for Best Original Screenplay for Bridesmaids. She has already proven that witty girls can be wildly successful and desired, and hopefully she will be properly rewarded for her fresh and hilarious film. In general I like to root for the underdogs therefore bellow I have highlighted all the first time nominees in red.

A compiled list of female nominees are as followed:

Best Picture: Sarah Green The Tree of Life

Best Actress: Glenn Close Albert Nobbs, Viola Davis The Help, Rooney Mara The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Meryl Streep The Iron Lady, Michele Williams My Week with Marilyn

Actress in a supporting role: Bénénice Bejo The Artist, Jessica Chastain The Help, Melissa McCarthy Bridesmaids, Janet McTeer Albert Nobbs, Octavia Spencer The Help

Animated Feature Film: Jennifer Yuh Nelson Kung Fu Panda 2

Art Direction: Anne Seibel and Héléne Dubreuil Midnight in Paris

Costume Design: Lisy Christl Anonymous, Sandy Powell Hugo, Arianne Phillips W.E.

Documentary Short: Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement, Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson God is the Bigger Elvis, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Saving Face, Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen The Tsunami and The Cherry Blossom

Film Editing: Anne-Sophie Bion The Artist, Thelma Shoonmaker Hugo

Foreign Language Film: Agnieszka Holland Poland “In Darkness” Makeup: Lynn Johnston Albert Nobbs, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hallows Part 2 Music (Original Song): Siedan Garrett “Real in Rio” from Rio

Short Film (Animated): Sue Goffe A Morning Stroll, Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby Wild Life Short Film (Live Action): Oorland George The Shore, Gigi Causey Time Freak

Sound Mixing: Deb Adair Moneyball

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Bridget O’Connor Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Writing (Original Screenplay): Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig Bridesmaids

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.