Why I Broke My Family Tradition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

(Photo from annaharbor.com)

Growing up I was always rocking scarlet and gray, the words to “Hang on Sloopy” consistently would play back in my head and chocolate buckeyes were my favorite dessert. My family was all about The Ohio State University. We loved going to the football games together; we even made it to The Sugar Bowl in New Orleans the year the team won the National Championship. I loved Ohio State because my father, my eldest sister, and my brother attended. I grew up surrounded by the idea that OSU was the best school around. But, this was only because that was all I knew. When it came time for my twin sister and I to start thinking about college, my mind immediately was set on Ohio State. However, my counselor urged me to discover more options and with very little enthusiasm, I did.

(photo from cdn.com)

In the beginning, I chose to apply to Ohio University because I had friends that attended who I wanted to visit. My motives were juvenile I will admit, but I was also interested in journalism and knew they had an outstanding program.

As my trip to Athens approached, I was mildly excited. I did, however, have a yearning to stay home, but I had already planned this trip; I was stuck. As I drove into Athens, I was in awe. I could not believe how plentiful the trees were and how shiny the grass lining College Green was. The brick roads and paths set a welcoming tone and the new dorm buildings were a dream come true.

(photo from linguistics.ohio.edu)

It was settled– I was in love with OU. Consequently, I felt guilty. I was convinced that I was betraying my love for The Buckeyes. For months, I went back and forth in my head trying to decide if I should follow my family’s heart and head to Columbus, or head to Athens. Honestly, I was scared of the unknown campus and what it would have in store for me.

Oddly enough, this fear is what drove me to break my collegiate family mold. I was excited to discover something no one else in my family had. I desired to have them visit me and see those plentiful trees and shining grass just as I had when I first arrived in Athens. I knew they would be proud of the title that the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism held and all the publications I planned to write for my freshman year.

My family fully supported me in my decision to enroll and that was that. My fear to break the mold was all in my head, and it is what caused me to go the opposite way of my family (including my twin, who now attends Ohio State.) In breaking this Ohio State trend, I have gained more confidence in my decisions. Not only that, but I gained respect from my family and even got them to love Ohio University, too. I know now to not base my decisions on others, because in the end, it is YOUR life.

As my life at Ohio University continues, I do still love going to Ohio State football games and being apart of everything I loved about the Buckeyes. However, I now also love going to the OU football games and eating Bagel Street Deli with my roommate.

(photo from amazon.com) 

A student at EW Scripps School of Journalism '20.
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!