Why I am an Upperclassman with a Dining Hall Meal Plan

Posted -

Most college students, after their sophomore year of college, move into an apartment or a house and decide to not have a meal plan. However, I am not like most college students. I have a meal plan and even increased my meals from last year now that I live off-campus. I decided to do this for several reasons.

Eating healthy. I personally find it easier to eat healthier at the dining halls versus going grocery shopping. I did go grocery shopping in the summer and I bought healthy food, but I found that I would eat more rather than less. I enjoy working out and eating healthy, but I suck at portion sizes. The dining halls have a specific size of plates and bowls, which help me limit my portions.

(Photo courtesy of The Post Athens)

Necessities. I am one of thousands who use loans to pay for college and with that being said, I don’t have the extra money to go out and buy items I need at my place. Luckily, with Ohio University, they have markets that you can use your meal swipes at. These markets are legitimately like miniature grocery stores. I live less than a minute away from the newest and biggest market on campus. I go there multiple times a week and get things I need personally and items for my place.

Time. I am tremendously busy throughout the day. I have class and when I’m not in class, I am at work. I could meal prep, but I usually am not done doing my tasks for the day until midnight or later. So with all of this being said, having a meal plan is easier and less stressful for me.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login