Well, The 50 Shades of Grey Cast Was Chosen Wisely…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
Just as fans were accepting the fact that Charlie Hunnam will play Christian Grey in the upcoming film rendition of the novel 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James, Hunnam decided to withdrawal from the production on Oct. 14. 

Why did he drop the role?  There have been multiple reasons, or speculations, as to why Hunnam dropped the role of Christian Grey. From his demanding TV schedule to not wanting to harm his longevity of his acting career, Hunnam’s reasons ultimately varied. It could have been the sudden stardom of having the role as the incredibly sexy and the unbelievably wealthy Grey. Hunnam could not have been ready for that overwhelming fame, too. 
In regards to longevity, Hunnam does not want to be known as one particular role in Hollywood for the rest of his acting career. For example, Robert Pattinson is forever tied to the role of Edward Cullen in the movie productions of Stephenie Meyer’s bestselling Twilight book series. Hunnam could possibly be afraid of that role attachment that his fellow English actor Pattinson experiences.  

What about Johnson? Hunnam’s counterpart in the film Dakota Johnson has been struggling with the pressure of playing Grey’s love interest Anastasia Steele. Adjusting to the sudden stardom that comes with playing this role has been an obstacle for her as well.  With the great deal of press Johnson is receiving, it may be difficult for the young actress to manage with all of the recent publicity. However, Johnson is still casted as Steele and has not dropped out of the production like Hunnman (as of now, at least). 
Regardless of whom the directing team selects as the new Christian Grey, the chemistry between Johnson and Mr. Grey most certainly has to be there. Hunnam and Johnson were casted together because of their compelling chemistry with one each other and their impeccable talents. The directing team has to re-select a Christian Grey that will kindle a similar chemistry or will ignite a whole new intriguing spark with Dakota Johnson.

Who will take over the role now? Suggestions have included various TV stars due to the lower budget of this film. Matt Bomer from White Collar and Ian Somerhalder from The Vampire Diaries have been encouraged. Some have also suggested Alex Pettyfer (Magic Mike, I Am Number Four) and Ryan Gosling (The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid Love). Prior to casting Hunnam and Johnson, Matt Bomer and Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) were suggested to take over the lead roles. Fans will have to wait and see, but hopefully the new cast will (once again) not disappoint the audience. 

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.