Make the Best of An Athens Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

While your friends are packing up their futons and moving back home for the summer, your zip code for the next three months is staying 45701.  So what’s a bobcat babe to do when A-town changes to a Ghost-town during the warmer months of the year? Despite what you may have heard, there are a TON of fun options in Athens and the surrounding area to keep you entertained. When you’re not in class or working, check out these events to keep boredom at bay.

June
Public Library Book Sale  – Starting June 11 and on the second Saturday of every month this summer Athens Public Library will be having a book sale with most books costing around 30 cents. An easy way to support the local community, and catch up on summer reading without breaking the bank.
Full Moon Paddle– Starting June 14-16 with appointments available in July and August as well, Full Moon Paddle is a two hour kayak trip with no previous experience needed. A perfect opportunity to paddle into the sunset with your summer crush!

July
Boogie on the Bricks– On July 16th Court Street will be taken over by this summer music festival with live music all day with awesome food and fun festival activities. Face paint anyone?
Nelsonville Brick Festival– If you have a soft spot for those famous Athens bricks, you should check out the Brick Festival in Nelsonville July 29th-30th. Brick collectors will trade bricks from all over the world and there’ll be live music and train rides to the brick sites.

August
Athens County Fair– Who doesn’t love the fair? From August 5-13 at the fairgrounds on West Union there will be livestock shows, rides, and more fair food than your poor belly can handle.
12th Annual Albany Ohio Atatl Contest– Ever heard of an Atatl? Me either. But you can get your Laura Ingalls on and learn how to use this ancient hunting device, along with watching some pretty cool competition events on August 13th and 14th.

All Summer
Jackie O’s and Casa– Both staple bars of Athens, each will be having live music and dance nights throughout the summer. So take a break from the usual Court Side scene, and taste a new beer at Jackie O’s and work up a sweat dancing like crazy at Casa.
Athen’s Farmer Market– If eating healthier is on your summer to do list, the farmer’s market is an easy solution. Held every Saturday and Wednesday from 10 am- 1pm this summer, expect to find the usual fresh fruits and veggies along with baked goods, beautiful flowers, and more!
Strouds Run– If you’re jealous of your friends beach vacations, get the next best thing at Strouds, only a short drive away from campus with sun and sand and plenty of nature to take in.
Camping– With numerous camp grounds close by to choose from, take a weekend getaway with your friends to go kayaking, horseback riding, hiking, and more.

Jessica Salerno is a senior Magazine Journalism major at Ohio University and originally from Westerville, Ohio. In addition to writing for Her Campus Jessica also writes for the Her Campus Ohio University Branch and plays club soccer. She has an obsession with online shopping and candy, and loves to hang out with her family. Jessica hopes one day to have a career in online or magazine journalism.