This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Okay, so I’m not your “basic girl” who tweets consistently during every Cleveland sports game. In fact, I’m quite the opposite. You’ll find me complaining via social media about all of the sports tweets I see almost every Sunday (and whatever other day sports are aired on TV).

Don’t get me wrong– it’s awesome for Cleveland that our sports teams (minus the Browns) are doing so well this year, but I can’t help that I’m annoyed by the hype of it. Yes, it’s totally exciting for our city and I agree that we have reason to celebrate, but for some reason, I am just not into it.

…of course I’ll pretend to be for that cute Instagram picture, though.

Although you’d probably find me posting Snapchats at the Cavs (Cavaliers) watch parties or posting Instagram pictures repping the Tribe, I don’t actually care. As harsh as that sounds, it’s the cold hard truth and no, I’m not a soulless person.

(Photo courtesy of nba.com)

I completely get that the Cleveland sports teams love their fans and need their fans’ support, but it just gets to a point that is far too much for me. An occasional tweet every once in a while isn’t too bad. Or when it’s someone like my mom posting about how exciting it is that the Indians made the World Series, that’s okay, but it’s when every other tweet on my timeline and every Snapchat story in my feed is of girls, and sometimes boys, PRETENDING to like the Cavs and Indians that really gets to me.

One major thing that irritates me is all of the people who only like their sports teams when they’re doing well. Look at the Browns, for example: clearly they are one of the worst teams in their division, so you can pretty much find everyone from Cleveland bashing them. It’s the people that DON’T bash their home team when they’re losing and still have hope that are true fans, and those are the people that I’m okay with being all hyped over the World Series or NBA Finals.

(Photo courtesy of http://www.alayton.net/)

Again, it’s okay to be excited for your city and for the sports teams, but my point is that they aren’t YOUR sports teams. You aren’t on the team, and I hate to break it to you, but you really aren’t a true fan if you’re only rooting for them because they’re being broadcasted all over social media and on TV for finally making it to the finals.

Just admit that you’re posting about it because you want the Instagram likes. I did!

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!