I Have an Addiction, A Netflix Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s a Friday night around 8 o’clock; this is the time you would usually be getting ready to go out with your friends. However, instead of a night out on the town, you’re instead laying in your bed, with a pizza you just had delivered, watching the 10th episode of Gossip Girl in the season you just started watching today. You are used to you and your friends being the life of the party, what happened? Netflix happened.  
           It makes sense why Netflix would be a tempting option instead of your usual weekend partying routine because after week of hours of reading, studying, and almost ripping all your hair out over a chemistry exam, you’re ready for a break. Your break either can consist of spending hours trying to get your hair to do what you want so you can flirt this new guy you’ve been crushing on. Or you can spend your break in your room, order a large pizza, and watch your favorite shows one right after another and not even have to put pants on! 
          Netflix can’t help but being anything but addictive. For only eight dollars a month, you have unlimited access to hundreds of shows and movies. Nothing is better than being able to watch your favorite shows with no commercials, watching as many episodes as you want back to back, and not having to wait for the next season to come out. If you end up watching all five seasons of Breaking Bad in two days, don’t fret, Netflix is generous enough to give you many recommendations of other shoes you will also like. 
          Netflix isn’t just appealing on the weekend nights; it’s also more appealing on week nights when you should been spending several hours reading your history text book. You might want to re-evaluate your Netflix watching habits if you see a reoccurring theme of getting your pop quizzes back and seeing a big fat zero. I am sure your professor will understand if you explain to them that you had to watch a “few” Gossip Girl episodes last night because they kept saying they were going to reveal who she finally is!
If you think you have become a victim of a Netflix Addiction, don’t worry, most of us are. But if you want to find ways to cut back on your all night marathons here’s some tips:
     1. Try to limit your episodes one a day (at least during the week). You will be happier in the end because your favorites won’t end so fast!
     2. Use it as a reward. If you do well on an exam, treat yourself to watching a couple episodes.
     3. Watch it while you work out. If your campus has wifi at the gym, bring your iPad and watch an episode while on the elliptical
     4. Watch more in the morning. Turn an episode while you’re getting ready for class so you don’t spend as much time watching at night.  
     5. If you have to study for an exam and can’t stop, have your parents temporarily change your password so you’re not even tempted. 

Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.