This Former PR Pro and Bobcat is Back: Colleen O’Morrow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Colleen O’Morrow is a Marketing and Sales Specialist at MediaSource. The agency has been named “Best Health Care PR/Marketing Agency” by Ragan Communications for the last three years. Growing up in the country and living in a house with acres upon acres of land, O’Morrow is currently residing in downtown Columbus. In the heart of downtown, she has immersed herself in her job in the PR world, which is a fast, exciting, and sometimes stressful environment. As a result, this former Bobcat is coming back to Athens on Monday, November 16 to speak at Ohio University’s PRSSA meeting.

Photo courtesy of O’Morrow’s Instagram: @ColleenOMorrow

O’Morrow began her professional future at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism where she was given many hands-on opportunities to grow.

“I was given professional opportunities as a freshman that I knew only the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism could provide,” she said.

She was involved in WOUB radio, Newswatch as a weather anchor, and Bobcat Sports Showcase. Other activities include PRSSA, ImPRessions, and she became VP of Philanthropy for the Pi Beta Phi sorority. Through these organizations, she still keeps in touch with many of the students and has formed relationships that will last a lifetime. She believes that “there’s something different about a ‘Scripps Kid’ that makes them stand out from the rest. The Bobcat bond is something that will last your whole life.”

Working at a content-focused PR firm called MediaSource that specializes in brand journalism tactics, O’Morrow has gained various PR Pro valuable experiences.

“I do different things every day and I have the opportunity to work in so many different MediaSource departments and clients,” she said.

With her prior experience from organizations and knowledge from the OU J-school, O’Morrow was determined to learn more.

“From working in company marketing, sales, social media for clients, managing clients, hiring interns, and more, I feel like I’ve been able to do a variety of tasks that multiple jobs would give me. But instead, it’s all happened at Media Source.” She is glad to work in an environment that works hard and plays hard.

Her increasing PR agency experience has led her back to the Bobcats to speak at PRSSA on behalf of MediaSource. She vividly remembers sitting in the seats at PRSSA meetings and listening to PR pros.

“It made me so excited to graduate and fully immerse myself into the career. Now I’m the speaker!” O’Morrow is looking forward to meeting with young PR pros like herself that are determined for a successful career. Along with her own professional experiences, and “having a rock star mom” that helped her in professional etiquette, O’Morrow likes to help others grow as well. She has a blog consisting of PR and career advice. Here is the link.

In contribution to the blog, O’Morrow’s advice is to never give up on your dreams. Dreams take hard work and it is important to choose student groups or internships that will give you the most hands-on experience that will help you in whatever career you want to pursue. She is a strong believer that Ohio University has many opportunities for students to build their own personal brand.

“Be confident in what you do, but always look for new learning opportunities and to learn from others. The time is now to show that you have what it takes to enter the professional world.”

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano