Exclusive interview with Kingsfoil

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

With the debut of their sophomore album, “A Beating Heart is a Bleeding Heart,” Kingsfoil rocked the Bobcat Lounge at Baker University Center last Thursday. Her Campus Ohio U was lucky enough to sit down with the band and talk about the new album and their new drummer, Frankie Muniz.

Lead singer Jordan Davis said that the concept of the new album is that each song could be it’s own single. Kingsfoil wanted each song to be strong enough to stand on it’s own. The first single off their album, “What Your Mother Taught You,” is receiving five out of five stars from fans on iTunes.

“It’s sort of like saying, ‘Yo, your mother taught you better than that, darlin’!’” said Davis. “It’s about a really self-absorbed woman, who is really just into attention and getting attention from a guy. Just sort of at the end, she just really wanted the attention to kind of validate herself.”

“The sound is more mature; we’ve grown as a band,” said Tristan Martin, who plays guitar, keyboard and does back up vocals.

Davis said the fans have already received the new album well.

“We feel really pumped, we’ve been receiving tweets, texts, notifications that people are really excited about it. … It feels so good because you get a little nervous about how people will react to it,” he said.

As their sound has changed, so has the band’s make up. Frankie Muniz, their much buzzed about drummer, joined the band in late 2011. Muniz and Kingsfoil shared the same manager and when his band parted ways, Kingsfoil was looking for a new drummer.

“Our manager called me and said it would be such a great idea for me to audition for them,” Muniz said. “But he said, I have to convince them to let you come. So after like a month of discussions, they allowed me to come audition for them.”

He had been a fan of Kingsfoil for a while. He said he was “super excited” for the opportunity and the rest is history.

While the band warmed up for the concert, students milled about, hoping to get a glimpse of the former “Malcolm in the Middle” star. We asked the band what they thought about Muniz’s star presence among the college kids.

“I cry every night,” joked Martin.

Davis said that the band is pretty lucky in that it doesn’t bother them.

“If anything, it makes us want to prove to people that the band’s gonna have a good show,” said Davis.

Muniz explained that if people come just to see the band for a joke, that crowd would never come again.

“It’s the coolest thing when we go on and play, and we win them over and then they become Kingsfoil fans. They forget about what I did in the past, it just 100 percent becomes about the band,” Muniz said.
He is confident that the music will win fans over more than his just being in the band.

Their high energy concert last Thursday brought in hundreds of students. Kingsfoil said that they were grateful for their fans at Ohio University and hope to make it back to campus for another show in the spring.

Memorable moments with Kingsfoil:

Tim Warren, bass and backup vocals, said that the last time Kingsfoil came to OU they tried to go out on Court Street after the show. His brother, who filled in on drums, drove home with Warren’s wallet. The bars refused to let him in and their adventure was cut short.

“I’m so far in the back, behind the cymbals, if you don’t look hard enough you won’t see me!” said Muniz.

Their name Kingsfoil comes from the name of a Middle Earth plant in “Lord of the Rings.” Martin thought it sounded cool.

For more on Kingsfoil’s tour and their album, follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@kingsfoilmusic). “A Beating Heart is a Bleeding Heart” is now available on iTunes and Spotify.

Photos courtesy of Hillary Johns and Carly Wiita. 

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.