Confessions of a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

What is the Maud that everyone talks about? Where is my advisor’s office? What is Morton Hill? Where is Hudson Clinic? Where is the best place to get food? What clubs should I join? Wait, there’s a difference between Mill Street and Mill Iron? Is there a way that I could avoid walking up Jeff Hill for the rest of my life? Freshmen eventually find out the answers to these questions, but for transfer students it is difficult to obtain this necessary information sometimes. 

Transfer students should be placed in their own social category. They have already experienced one or more years of college so they are not freshmen; although they are similar to freshmen because both students are new to Ohio University’s campus, people and environment. Also, transfer students try not to make it blatantly obvious that they are new to Ohio University, yet they still do not really know their way around campus.

So how does a transfer student make a smooth transition to OU? It is solely up to each individual, but getting involved on campus will be the best way to transition. For example, early recruitment into sororities helped girls find their new sisters and new home on campus. Other activities such as club sports, organizations related to your major and/or interests are the greatest way for you to meet people. If students want to lock themselves in their dorm room to watch TV or check Facebook al day, so be it; however, I do not highly recommend that option. There are hundreds of clubs and organizations on OU’s campus. There is at least something out there for every one to find their niche. 

Another fantastic way that makes transferring a whole lot easier is being a part of a transfer learning community. Students take a weekly seminar class with other transfer students like themselves. In the course, students learn essential details such as where to find proper resources, translating a DARS report, and much more useful knowledge. On top of the informative part of the class, students meet an amazing group of people that help and support one another. They help you meet a core group of people, which is essential for transfer students. Each person is new and trying to find their own place in this wonderful place called Athens and they are helping you too along the way. 

In the end, it is up to the student to choose his or her own destiny. My simple advice to transfer students however is to get out there, get involved, be confident and just like momma always says, “Be yourself.” These four guidelines will help students transition from being at their old school to being at the greatest place on earth: Ohio University. 

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano