Bobcat Crowned Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

While most students took advantage of the extra time off from classes during this year’s Labor Day weekend, Ohio University sophomore Kirbyshae Smith traveled to Columbus, Ohio and took the title as Miss American Coed Ohio in beauty pageant.

The pageant held at North Crowne Plaza allowed girls between the ages of 13-22 to participate. Smith participated in the coed division, which was specifically for 19-22-year-old women.

The pageant process lasted from Friday-Sunday. From check-in to the big reveal of the winner, there were three required competitions throughout the weekend, which consisted of a personal induction, interview and formal wear/evening gown rounds. Participants also entered several optional and mini-optional contests. These included speech, talent, photogenic, modeling, best hair, best eyes and best dress.

In addition to being crowned queen of her division, Smith won best hair and best dress and also was a semi-finalist in the modeling optional contest.

“My heart was pounding,” said Smith referring to the anticipation of waiting on stage for her name to be called. “I was so nervous and when my name was finally called, I was in complete shock. After the initial shock, I was overcome with happiness and gratitude that I was chosen.”

Smith has only competed in one other pageant before taking home the Miss American Coed Ohio title. The summer before her senior year of high school, Smith participated in a pageant called National American Miss.

“I have gained a lot of confidence, improved on my interviewing and public speaking skills and networked with girls from all different parts of Ohio,” said Smith about her pageant experiences.

After both pageant experiences, Smith evaluated what her favorite and least favorite things about pageants are. Walking on stage in an evening gown makes her feel confident and beautiful, said Smith.

“My least favorite part about getting ready for [pageants] is doing my hair,” said Smith. “Hair is so unpredictable and I never know if it will cooperate.” However, Smith’s hair challenge did not let that stop her from winning the competition.

What’s next for Smith after her first pageant victory? She plans to travel to Orlando, Florida to compete for the National Miss American Coed title, hoping for a second win. 

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano