5 Reasons Why Hookup Culture is Good for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

(Article by Bailey Collins)

Ever notice how there seems to be more people hooking up on college campuses rather actually dating someone? It turns out that there is a name for that: hookup culture.

Hookup culture is an environment that supports and praises casual sexual encounters rather than monogamy. Hookup culture is NOT to be confused with rape culture, which is an environment that supports and praises nonconsensual sex.

1. Sex positivity is when instead of consensual sex being stigmatized, sinful, shameful and morally wrong, it is celebrated and seen as natural. Hookup culture takes away the shame that used to come along with spending the night with a “random.” When you are in a hookup culture, sex is normalized to the point where it is no longer scary. When hooking up is normal, it is no longer taboo and allows for no shame. The lack of guilt opens up the conversation for women to talk about their sexual experience and identity in a positive way.

Photo: media.licdn.com

2. Combats Double Standards. Why is it that men can sleep with however many women they want, yet if a women does, she is a slut? That’s called a double standard. Hookup culture makes sex an even playing field by allowing for both men and women to participate in the proclamation, “I’m not looking for anything serious right now.”

3. Not Tied Down. There are all different types of bobcats on campus. Hookup culture allows everyone, not just women, to test the waters with multiple people before they decide on which fish in the sea to keep.

Photo: oceandrivemiamibeach.com

4. Free Love and the Sexual Revolution. Remember the 1960s? During that era there was a sexual awakening called the Free Love Movement. Free love is the idea of having sexual relationships by choice, without being restricted by long-term relationships, marriage or monogamy, or fear of social stigma. Free love helped to create a counter culture in which women and LGBTQ people were increasingly able to be open about their sexualities.

5. Education is the Most Important Thing in College. Not only do you have two exams, a quiz, a project, and two papers due this week, you also have to fight with your boyfriend over the phone and text for three hours! I think I would rather spend one night a week doing some “Netflix and Chill” after I am caught up with my studies.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano