10 Steps to a Healthy Sleep Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

One of the most challenging things for college students to master is how to be rested for all the tests, interviews, studying, work and papers that they have to be prepared for during the school year. Mapping out a sleep schedule can be a productive way to ensure that the candle isn’t always burning at both ends. What’s going on this week? Figure out what your week’s most important commitments will be, like that 9 a.m. nutrition midterm or the crack-of-dawn interview you have with the local newspaper. Make sure that on the eves of those appointments you set aside time for some good old-fashioned sleep–the night’s TV shows are more than likely available online within the coming week, so they can wait. Being well-rested for your most demanding engagements is an excellent way to guarantee you’ll make the grade or get the job. Weekdays first, weekend later. Focusing and accomplishing things throughout the week will lead to a more satisfying, stress-free weekend. A great way to achieve that goal is to maintain a normal schedule–sleep included. Fluctuating between a 2 a.m. bedtime and a 9 p.m. bedtime can really irk your system. Aim to have some regularity when your head hits the pillow–at least during the school/work week. Wake up, wake up, wake up. Just like having a routine for hitting the hay, work toward creating one for waking up. Getting up at the same time daily can help you start your day on the right foot–and makes you used to going to bed at the same time nightly. It promotes a healthy cycle that, in turn, can promote some normality in your busy schedule. Up all night? Think again. Save the all-nighters and 3 a.m. pizza runs for a crazy weekend with friends. Even if you think you’re invincible with that Starbuck’s café latte in hand, chances are you’ll spend more time trying to recuperate from a night without any sleep than you will dedicated to the 10-page paper you have to write. Question: Tired? Answer: Sleep! Sometimes, even if you think staying up all night will give you an edge on the week’s homework, simply going to bed will prepare you more. And don’t worry about the “stigma” of going to bed early; no one will judge you for staying in on a Tuesday night. Try waking up early to study instead of dozing on your chemistry book. Listen to your body; it knows what it needs. Pushing it to extremes won’t accomplish anything. One night a week, catch some early “zzz’s.” Even if you don’t think you’re tired, all those midterms and walking around campus are probably catching up with you. Don’t underestimate the power of a good night’s sleep. Pick a night and choose to relax in bed rather than straining your eyes and brain by watching a late-night movie that turns out not to be funny. You’ll fall asleep faster than you think. Don’t confuse your body. Don’t drink loads of coffee and eat foods super late. Aside from those ultra-important cram sessions before a final exam, drinking coffee regularly late at night will just continue to throw off the sleep schedule you’ve been trying to maintain. Also, shying away from eating a bunch before you go to sleep can help your body ready itself for sleep–no unnecessary 2 a.m. stomachaches. Not just for kindergarteners anymore. Remember nap time? Sometimes your body needs a little siesta to keep things functioning. After a long work out or an even longer exam, treat yourself to an afternoon nap. That should help the remainder of your day flow smoothly–there’s no reason to wait until later if your body is craving rest now. Those aren’t your pajamas. If you’re consistently falling asleep on your homework and waking up in a daze with the bedroom lights on and your math notes stuck to your face, then maybe you should try “getting ready for bed.” If you know you’re just too tired to keep going, take the extra minute to find the proper night clothes (and even brush your teeth), so that you can be comfortable and relaxed all the way until morning. Sleep? What’s that? If you’re a person who has trouble sleeping in general, maybe it’s best to talk to someone, like a health professional or a counselor. Sleep is a crucial element to combat life’s stresses. So if it doesn’t come easily to you, seek out help so you can get back on track.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.