WODU’s Newest Branch is Taking Off!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Last semester our school radio station, WODU, expanded its range and added a television program for students interested in the broadcasting field.

Created by WODU’s television and video production Director, Seena Khalil, WODU TV is an opportunity for students to work with all aspects of television including: production, editing, and on camera talent.

Noticing the very small broadcasting field we have at ODU Khalil took matters into her own hands. Creating this branch of WODU, not only for herself but, for any students interested.

“I wanted to create a television platform for students to express themselves.” Khalil said.

In the Mixx is the first segment of WODU TV and is always looking for stories to cover and students interested in being featured. This show features everything from up and coming artist to events both on campus and off and showcases any talent that we have here at ODU.

“I’m trying to build a strong platform here for students to build off of in the future.” Khalil said, “The goal is to grow and expand.”

The first episode of In the Mixx can be found here and if you’d like to get involved you can reach out on social media @WODUStudios or visit www.wodustudios.com  

I had the pleasure of hosting this coming episode of In the Mixx. Both filming and watching the show was a blast! I would recommend anyone who wants to work in any aspect of the broadcasting field to get involved with this amazing program.

Working with WODU TV will get you hands on experience doing exactly what you’d be doing if you were a reporter, anchor, or producer for any local or major network. Being that this is at a college level it’s okay to mess up and for things to not be 100 percent perfect which relieves some pressure and makes it easier to learn.

If you’re a COMM major this will also definitely help with classes! Much of what you’ll learn in the studio or in the field filming is material that you would go over in class. Organizations like WODU provide an outlet for students to have fun while working and learning. 

WODU is home to much of the talent on campus and is partnered with various venues and business around Hampton Roads. Working with them is a boost to any resume and can provide extensive knowledge. WODU allows students to express themselves and have their voices heard. Students can have their own show, contribute to an existing show, or simply work behind the scenes. There are positions with promotion, engineering, PR, and several other interest areas.

As WODU TV grows the plan is to add more shows and segments that are independent from In the Mixx. Until then catch the second episode of In the Mixx today, Wed. Feb. 15 at 6:15 p.m. on channel 70.1 or you can watch it on Youtube later in the evening. 

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!