This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Source: Giphy

Time 

That’s how we measure life. How long it takes to make one, change one, and take one. We use time to determine the days, how long to let things cook, how often to do things. Society has set time norms. Time to wake up, go to sleep, be at a certain point in life, when it’s okay to feel a certain way. 

Time

Time 

Time 

It controls us. There’s so much of it yet, it’s so limited. We cherish time in things we love but take it for granted in everyday things we don’t even notice. 

There is no problem with time only with the expectations placed upon it. Because I’m 20 and entering adulthood I should have a plan figured out for the rest of my life. Also, because I’m 20 I should be having fun and living for myself because these are the years I’ll never get back. I am 20 therefore, I shouldn’t settle down because I don’t really know what love is yet. The worst one is, because it hasn’t been long enough in the relationship I shouldn’t feel a certain way about someone.

I guess what really bothers me is being told that time should determine how I feel or when I should feel it. It’s like society is saying that I, myself, don’t know what I feek when I feel it. If someone is being beat by their significant other, would you tell them to give it more time before they decide enough is enough? If you’ve spent every day working toward something and someone told you it was time to give up, is that okay? So because my feelings grow slower or faster, because I’m young, and because society says so, I can only feel a certain way about someone? That’s bullshit.

To have your creative free write featured email odu@hercampus.com with “creative” in the subject line!

Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!