sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Slay on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Being in college is a very difficult time in one’s life when it comes to outfit choices. Depending on the school, campus could be filled with walking zombies who have not put on actual clothes since their high school graduation or everyone looks like they are fresh off the runway.

Many college students choose to the sweat-pants and oversized shirts because getting dressed is way too hard. However, I am here to tell you that is not true, and how you can afford look like a high paid supermodel who just finished a show in Paris all the time!.

1. Develop your personal style.

This can be a little difficult. Many people don’t have ONE style and tend to switch things up depending on the day. Trends come and go as well, so you should focus on building a wardrobe that fits your personality and gain pieces that are timeless.

Okay, so you know your style. Now you are wondering how is this supposed to save you money? If you build a wardrobe solely off the latest trends, you are going to be shelling out tons to keep up and have items you will have to trash in a few weeks so onto tip #2.

2. Stay away from big name brands

College is a time where everyone is seeking the big name brands. In high school, people tended to shift towards “cheaper” brands but for some reason in college we like to act like we are millionaires already and want $1,000 shoes and coats. Learning how to find great dupes for particular items that you like is a must! All it takes is a little research. There is a look-a-like for almost every designer item out.

3. Deals are your best friend

One of my biggest tips is never buy anything without a coupon or promo code. I honestly mean that because for almost any clothing site, there is some kind of discount. There are numerous websites that are devoted solely to giving college students discounts. Unidays is one of those sites.

4. Do not fear thrift stores

Over the years, thrift stores have saved my life on multiple occasions. You can find almost anything in these stores. Typically, the items in thrift stores are used but many are older brands which mean better quality and material. So, you are paying a super cheap price for an item that will last you a long time. Do not be fooled, there are many thrift stores or second hand shops besides your standard Salvation Army. Plato’s closet and consignment shops are also great options to look for quality items and good deals.

5. Know your budget.

One thing that college students fail to do is create a budget. Not only will this help when buying clothes but also when with life in general. Giving yourself a budget make you really look for the best deals so that you get more for your dollar. It’ll also prevent you from blowing your rent and food money on that coat you just feel deep in your heart that you “NEED” to have.

Overall, college is a difficult time for us all. Getting dressed in the morning just to go to class seems nearly impossible sometimes but in the end, it’s totally worth it. Having a wardrobe that fits you and that you truly enjoy makes getting dressed that much easier. Just because you are broke, doesn’t mean you can’t look rich.