sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Maintain A Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Let me start off by saying that being in a long distance relationship is not the easiest. Although, when you really love someone you try to do everything you can to keep it spicy and fresh. My boyfriend is currently working overseas until May and I miss him tremendously. However, before he left we had to make sure that we were on the same page. We decided to be 100% committed to one another. I assumed that as long as we kept the lines of communication open we would be fine. After realizing that communication was just the foundation, I decided to ask my boyfriend some questions in hopes of finding out how to maintain my relationship and then some.

First, become their friend in addition to being their significant other. My boyfriend has become one of my closest friends and I believe that’s what keeps us on the same page. Talk about any and everything whether it’s about your day or something that made you laugh. Also, try sending encouraging messages of love, support, and reassurance.

Source: giphy.com

Secondly, just because you can’t have real sex doesn’t mean there isn’t a way to keep things spicy and intimate. Be spontaneous with your partner! Everyone wants to feel either wanted or needed by their significant other. It’s a sense of being secure in your relationship. Try things like random phone calls to see how your partner’s day is going, sending just because flowers, or an edible arrangement.

Lastly, I highly recommend sexting. Don’t knock it until you try it, ladies! Give your man that allusion, make his fantasy woman a reality. I’m talking about pictures, videos, and even facetime if you’re really adventurous. Go slowly of course, because it is important that you do what works best for you. It’s totally OK to get in touch with your inner sexy at your own pace! Also, remember to be mindful of who you choose to send things like this to, be 100%  certain that you can trust the person receiving them. If you aren’t so sure, then this probably is not for you.

Source: giphy.com

Being in a long distance relationship is built on the premise of teamwork. It is important to keep the relationship as united as possible. At the end of the day, your bond is what matters the most and you should do what is best for your specific relationship. What works for me might not work for you, just remember to do what makes you comfortable. The love between you and your partner is priceless because it isn’t something that can be duplicated. So, treat it as such.

Source: giphy.com