The Controversial Qualities of a Real Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Do you wish to publish a book in the near future? Is your inner Rowling struggling to escape? In order to coin yourself a writer, you must possess certain qualities, otherwise: you’ll fall into the category of ‘almost and not quiet’s’. If you want to be a successful writer, you should do the following:

1.) Read at least two chapters of literature a day. Doing so fuels your writing ability.

2.) Write up to 3,000 words daily in five hours time. It’s a way to remain consistent.

3.) You should adore poetry for the greatness that it is. Writing it isn’t a must but, it’s expected from all to appreciate poetry.

These are the bare minimum requirements to awaken the author within oneself. Anything less would not be putting the necessary time and effort into making your dreams come true.     

Actually, all of the above is untrue. However, if you’re an aspiring writer, you’ve probably heard something similar in the past. There are standards that float through this profession, persistently criticizing those who desire to pursue it. Being an avid, determined writer, I can only express my dissatisfaction with such qualifications if you may. In better terms, I’m fed up with articles and successful authors throwing their jurisdiction on my passion.

Every writer is different. Some are natural born creative geniuses while others need to study daily. Regardless, anyone can be a writer! There is a high standard of what makes a ‘real writer’ and I call bullshit on 99.9% of it.

If you don’t read every single day, don’t write everyday, if you dislike poetry, but can draw true joy from the craft, then you are fully capable. Screw the published, professional journalists who try to convince you otherwise.

Most authors, writers, artists, whatever you prefer to go by, have a different method to their madness. And we are all mad! I myself have been criticized on my less than authorly habits, but I am not imagining my passion for this work. Writing is like everything in life, it can always be improved.

That being said, writing is competitive. You need to make it your own. Don’t let anyone say what a real writer is. You are the writer, make your own standards. You’re good at it. If you were doubting your talents, check out these standards.

1.) Write what you want!

Source: Giphy

No genre is too racy, too risky, too boring, or overdone. You will learn on your own what your limits are. No one can set those boundaries but you. When an agent or journalist suggests that you should pursue another genre or job, take it as a challenge, not discouragement.

2.) Believe in yourself!

Source: Giphy

I don’t mean the traditional, ‘I can do this’. I’m talking about your insistent disdain of nonfiction or poetry. It is all in prefered taste.

3.) Understand your abilities!

Source: Giphy

Branching off from the above, if you are aware that you lack skill in grammar, don’t hesitate to look into rules. Not doing so is your choice, but it may lower the possibility of snagging an agent or publishing. That can only be so true since works such as “Fifty Shade of Gray” exist. If you’ve read it, you know what I mean. If you haven’t, it’s genre targets an adult audience while brandishing readability fit for a middle schooler. Yet, it’s a New York Times Bestseller. Again, it’s about taste. Anything is possible!

4.) The last, most important, near mandatory note is this! 

Source: Giphy

The only circumstance that prevents you from being a writer is not enjoying what you write. This is the outlying reason that truth can be drawn from the above. What makes a person a writer is the warmth and joy experienced from putting their minds on paper, from having others enjoy what they have created. If you don’t like what you write, how can others?

The pure fact that you love what you do, even if only after one time, is enough to call yourself a writer.

Hello. I'm the fiction writer stuck in a fantasy world. If I'm not dabbling in dark fiction or some odd form of creative nonfiction, I'm writing to encourage others to take the leap to follow their dreams. Cliche, I know, but it couldn't be more true. Surprise. Surprise. Following dreams is something many people are still hesitant about. I'm working to narrow that margin. ;)
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!