This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

Ever want a bop by a popular artist that told a story beyond romantic trifles? Well, here’s 10 to play during your next jam session.

Source: http://giphy.com

Cows With Guns, Dana Lyons

The cows on a farm rebel against being killed for their meat. They join together to try and save themselves while also taking down the people who threaten them. Filled with bad puns and cow jokes, this song is one of Dana Lyons many humorous ballads.

The Taxidermist’s Daughter, Arne Asmund​

In love with a boy who is engaged to another woman, a girl sets a bear trap in the woods to catch her true love. She then uses the skills her father taught her to keep him with her forever. Arne Asmund specializes in dark ballads based off of classic myths and short stories.

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, The Charlie Daniel’s Band

Not only a classic tale but a classic song with some amazing violin work. A young boy in Georgia and the Devil enter a challenge to see who plays the violin the best. They bargain a golden fiddle against the boy’s soul.

Please Don’t Talk to the Lifeguard, Andrea Carroll

The sign “please don’t talk to the lifeguard” seems like the end of the world to a young girl who believes she is in love with the hot lifeguard. It’s very relatable to anyone who ever knew a preteen girl going through her “I’m in love with every cute boy” phase.

Farrah Fawcett Hair, Capital Cities & Andre 3000

If you’re down in the dumps, this is the song for you. The pop artist takes a twist on their normal songs and different people talk about those moments in life where you think to yourself “this is good”.

Mariner’s Revenge, The Decemberists

Two men stuck in the stomach of a whale spend some time discussing their lives. The narrator tells the other man about how, even though he was unaware, he was responsible for the death of the narrator’s mother.  

Two Black Cadillacs, Carrie Underwood

At the funeral of a man, two black Cadillacs arrive. One belongs to the wife of the man, and the other belongs to his mistress. The two women had gotten together and planned his murder.

Space Oddity, David Bowie

Major Tom, an astronaut, is receiving messages and responding to Ground Control about his mission and how he feels. The isolation has changed his perspective on life and the world itself.

Take the Money and Run, Steve Miller Band

Billie Jo and Bobby Sue, a pair of lovers, became bored with their lives and went to Texas to rob a man. They end up killing him and become pursued by a local detective.

Papa Don’t Preach, Madonna

A classic pop song, a young woman is pregnant with the child of her lover and seeking advice from her father. Her friends tell her she is too young to have a child but she plans to marry the father and raise it anyway.

Hey there,  I'm an outgoing introvert at Old Dominion University. I've lived all across the globe but my hometown is Charlottesville, VA, nestled in the Shanendoah Mountains. Only on an adventure do I feel I can truly connect with the earth. Majoring in Graphic Design, writing for Her Campus, working as a Campus Ambassador, participating as a member of Gamma Sigma Sigma Service Sorority, and being part of the Civic Scholars program, I've got my hands full. When I'm not working or hiking, I'm writing or planning event nights for my friends. I love being outdoors and I spend every moment I can exploring and traveling. I watch a little too much netflix and run an independant literary-arts magazine for emerging authors and artists. Check Sincerely Magazine out and be sure to submit some of your work. I hope you enjoy my rambles because days are simply too short to be bored, Kieran Rundle
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!