The Top Coffee Shops Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s midterms week, and I’m sleep deprived. I walk into Faye’s on the Square with a long night of cramming ahead, expecting my favorite tall skinny caramel macchiato with an extra shot to be eagerly waiting for me. Before I can even make it through the door, I ram straight into the back of another sleepy eyed student  – the line’s out the door.

This scene sound familiar?

If you’re an NYU collegiette, you know what I’m talking about. The golden rule you quickly learn as a freshman: you will never have time in between classes for the Starbucks on campus. If you’re anything like me and anxious about upcoming exams, the last thing you want to do is bear the extensive wait and crowded tables. I decided to set off and survey the other options in the NYU area so my precious caffeine would always be readily available. As it turns out, other places besides Starbucks do exist (I know…it shocked me too).

Oren’s Daily Roast
31 Waverly Place

Located between the Silver Center and Weinstein Hall, Oren’s most likely has the second highest traffic for coffee on campus. The line here may be lengthy at times, but the line moves extremely fast. They have a broad selection of coffees, ranging from light roasts such as Colombia Tolia (sweet, bright, and creamy) to a dark south pacific roast called the Sumatra Mandheling (they call this the most full bodied coffee in the world). Or, if you’re anything like me and prefer a smooth latte instead, they have plenty of the classics like café mochas and caramel macchiato.

The Bean
824 Broadway

If you’re located a bit closer to Union Square, or don’t mind a 5 minute walk from Washington Square- The Bean is a must. The atmosphere is welcoming and amicable, and they have a glass case full of delectable homemade treats that range from colorful macaroons to savory red velvet cake. And if you’re vegan, they have selections to fulfill your sweet tooth too. In terms of drinks, they pride themselves on their Dirty Chai – a chai latte with a shot of espresso.

Think Coffee
248 Mercer Street

You probably recognize this name from the vendor inside the NYU Bookstore. However, they have an offset location, equipped with free wi-fi, located a few blocks before Coles Sports Center on Mercer Street. All their coffee beans are imported from overseas, and use the same exotic flavors for their espresso beverages. If you’re a lover of traditional, flavorful coffee, this could be the place for you. They also have a wide array of tasty sandwiches and breakfast plates if you like to munch while you study (try the PB & J or Brie and Granny Smith Apple sandwiches – the sweet tastes will balance a strong coffee).

Third Rail Coffee
240 Sullivan Street

Located between 3rd St and Bleecker St, this is an off the chart place where you’re bound to get some quiet study time. Their espresso drinks are known for being smooth and creamy. Plus: they add pretty patterns in their foamy cappuccinos and lattes – who doesn’t love that? The one downside is that they’re only open until 8 pm, so if you’re a night owl, you may need to get your caffeine to go.

The Grey Dog Café
90 University Place

Okay, so you’ve probably passed this place a thousand times and thought it was only a nice place to bring Mom and Dad to lunch when they visit. Don’t be fooled – they have everything from Mexican Hot Chocolate, to macchiato, to iced Raspberry teas. You’re guaranteed to find something you like, and not to mention you can chow down on an avocado and goat cheese toast while you’re there.

Joe the Art of Coffee
9 E. 13th Street

Located near Union Square, Joe Coffee is a familiar home for many upperclassmen NYU students.  They’re a bit conventional with their drinks, with a limited selection of iced coffees and espressos. However, they were placed on the top 10 coffee places by the New York Time, so don’t be weary of the plain flavors. If you really need an indulgence try their pastries, such as the chocolate croissants or s’mores. YUM.

Photos:
Oren’s
The Bean
Think Coffee 1
Think Coffee 2
Third Rail 1
Third Rail 2
The Grey Dog
Joe Coffee 1
Joe Coffee 2

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein 
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.