This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As the weather starts to get warmer, summer concerts and festivals kick into high gear. Whether you and your friends are off roadtripping to festival lands or just want a fresh summer style, festival fashion is a fun and different way to dress for these hot three months.

1. Fringe

(Gigi Hadid, Coachella 2015)

Lately, 70’s style seems to be making a comeback and what better way to celebrate a decade than with a staple item like fringe. Fringe can be worn in a variety of ways and on a variety of different clothing items. Pairing a long fringe vest with a t-shirt or tank top, destroyed jean shorts and gladiator sandals is my favorite way to wear fringe. Another way to wear fringe is on sandals or boots. It’s super easy to wear and can pull an entire look together head to toe!

2. Glitter Roots

Kendall Jenner, Coachella 2016

Amanda Steele, Instagram

This trend is more recent and has been everywhere since the start of this festival season. You can start this look by parting your hair in the middle and putting it up into space buns, pigtails or french braids. Then grab your favorite color of glitter and sprinkle it in the middle part of your hair and brush outwards. This look can be so pretty but beware that the glitter can be super difficult to get out. A more expensive option is the glitter root gel from Urban Outfitters that goes on brightly colored and smoothly, plus it washes out very nicely.

3. Vintage Tee’s

Model, Coachella 2016

Vintage, distressed t-shirts and jean shorts are a go-to festival outfit that has a much higher comfort level than most. For a classic rock and roll look, a vintage concert tee will make for the perfect piece. Pair the shirt with distressed shorts and sneakers and this will make for an easy, but perfect festival outfit.

4. Colored Hair

Kyle Jenner, Coachella 2016

Free People Hair Chalk

Different colored hair, especially pastel, is nothing we haven’t seen at festivals before. But this trend will definitely give a quick switch up to your look. If you’re not one to use actual hair dye, permanent or not, there are plenty of other ways to achieve this. The easiest way to get colored hair is hair chalk. Hair chalk can be found in so many different colors and is very easy to apply/remove. My favorite chalk to use is available at Free People. Another way to get a totally new look is wigs. Good wigs can be hard to find and expensive, but they work perfectly for different looks on a festival weekend.

5. Maxi Skirts/Dresses

Urban Outfitters

Maxi skirts and dresses have always been a must-have in the summer wardrobe, but they work great for a cool, comfortable piece at a festival. The skirts go great with crop tops and bralettes, and the dresses don’t need anything but sandals and a belt. Two piece sets with a matching top and skirt look chic as well. A cool way to make it more suited for festival fashion is to find a skirt or dress with slits up the leg.

6. Body Jewels

Face and Body jewels have been very popular lately, specifically at the start of the festival season. They come in so many different colors and patterns that it’s easy to match them to your look of the day. They appear great placed under and around your eyes, over the arch of your eyebrows, your cheekbones, your chest and arms. My favorite brand to order them from is called Body Bauble. It’s an online store that has a bunch of different colors and shapes to choose from.  

7. Overalls

Suki Waterhouse, Coachella 2016

Overalls are so perfect for summer because they’re both convenient and comfortable. For festivals, overalls can be dressed up or down for any look in an effortless way. A cool way to style these is with your favorite crop tee underneath, crew socks, sneakers, braids and a baseball hat. You can even add a bandana around your neck for an extra festival feel.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.