SmartPay: Traveling the SmartWay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Let’s be real– if you’re at NYU, chances are you travel a lot.  Maybe you commute, maybe you go on vacation, maybe you’re planning an epic Spring Break; whichever the case, the experiences you gain from traveling may be priceless, but the actual traveling part is not.  Lucky for you, there’s SmartPay.

SmartPay is a free (see? They’re already helping you out) mobile payment app that helps you savily save on things such as 10 cents for every gallon you pump out of the gas station.  Says a spokesperson from developer Cumberland Farms, “Credit Card fees are a large expense for gas retailrs.  That thought was that if Cumberland Farms could eliminate the fees and somehow allow the customers to benefit as well, it would be a win-win for both Cumberland and the customers.  With that, the SmartPay app was developed in-house by the Cumberland Farms’ IT department.”  

So how do you get it and how do you use it?  Simple: simply download the app to your phone, link up your bank account, and insert your pump number at the fas station to pay with your phone.  Voila– 10 more cents towards your Spring Break drinking fund is earned!

Oh, and if that wasn’t enough, Cumberland stores also offer coffee for 99 cents in any size, meaning flavor shots, lattes, and cappuccinos.  Can you say score?

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.