NYC Cravings: Healthy Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Satisfy your NYC cravings guilt-free with these healthy, hidden gems of downtown Manhattan!

Anyone who lives in NYC can admit that it’s hard not to be a total foodie in this city. With some of the best restaurants, bakeries, and cafes on every block, the smells and sights of the delicious treats that Manhattan has to offer only makes you crave more. But whether you are looking to dine out with friends, or just grab a quick treat, the downtown area is filled with healthier options that will satisfy any type of food you’re craving in the city. Some better known than others, here are seven delicious, healthier options based on what your body is craving:

If you’re craving…

1. Frozen yogurtWith a new “froyo” shop popping up on every corner in the city, New Yorkers can’t help but stop and pick up this popular low-calorie frozen treat, no matter the weather. But, even with sugar free and low-fat yogurts, most of this froyo is filled with unnatural, artificial flavors and chemicals. To replace these artificial treats, try: Chloe’s Soft Serve Fruit (25 E 17th St. New York, NY 10003)Located in the heart of Union Square, Chloe’s offers a frozen yogurt alternative—soft serve fruit, made with only 3 simple ingredients: fruit, water, and organic cane sugar! With flavors like strawberry, banana, mango, and even chocolate, this yummy frozen treat tastes exactly like your favorite froyo and contains no dairy, gluten or fat. With their variety of toppings and combinations, you’ll never worry about getting your daily fruit intake in again!

2. A Sweet BreakfastIt’s the most important meal of the day, and you’re craving something a little healthier than a bagel or a bowl of cereal. Check out Oatmeals NY (120 W 3rd St, New York, NY 10012)! This adorable little Oatmeal bar will make you rethink Oatmeal as a breakfast food. With tons of toppings, fruit, syrups, nuts, and extras to add onto your oatmeal, you can customize your own oatmeal bowl, or choose from the exciting menu with unique bowls like Blueberry Maple Walnut, Smores, Salted Caramel Apple, or even Sundried Tomato, Pesto & Parmesan. So grab a friend and go get some oatmeal. You’ll never want to skip breakfast again!

3. New York PizzaEveryone loves a classic New York pizza, but not everyone wants to indulge in the greasy, caloric slice of pizza on the street corner. For a healthier option, try Pala Pizza (198 Allen St., at Houston, Lower East Side)! Famous for their gluten-free flatbread crust, this restaurant has tons of unconventional pizza options, as well as gluten-free and vegan options, and all the dishes are healthy and delicious, filled with fresh vegetables and organic ingredients.

4. A Satisfying BrunchLooking to dine with friends on a weekend morning? You don’t have to turn to a meal filled with bacon, waffles, and pancakes! Ditch the carbs and check out The Butcher’s Daughter (19 Kenmare St, New York, NY 10012): a trendy, vegetarian restaurant that offers tons of healthy dishes like a sweet 7-grain French toast or a unique PB&J made with raw almond butter. You’ll have trouble deciding what to order! They also offer cold pressed juices and protein filled smoothies that are to die for! Extra tip: order a side of their famous kale chips. You’ll wonder why you ever snacked on a potato chip.

5. A Burger and FriesYou know the feeling. If you eat one more salad, you’ll turn into a piece of lettuce. Sometimes a girl just needs her fix for a classic burger and French fries. You might think that the only options are to give in to oily fast food or to deprive yourself, but Peacefood Café (41 E 11th St, Manhattan, NY 10003) gives you another option! This vegan café serves healthy versions of your favorite “fast food” style meals. Try their vegan cheeseburger and chickpea fries. You will wonder how such a delicious meal could be so healthy—but it is! They also serve raw, vegan desserts that will totally satisfy your sweet tooth, like a cacao mousse pie and a cashew cream cheesecake.

6. DonutsThey say donuts are the new cupcakes. Whether you eat it for breakfast with an iced coffee or as a late night snack in the freezing winter, every New Yorker has a place in their hearts for a delicious donut. But how can anyone who is trying to stay healthy justify eating sugar covered fried dough? Here’s how: Holey Donuts  (101 7th Ave S, New York, NY 10014). These low-fat donuts are baked instead of fried, and include no artificial sweeteners or trans fats. With donuts on the menu like the classic vanilla and chocolate frosted, as well as apple caramel crumb, cinnamon strudel, and raspberry fudge, you can enjoy your classic New York donut without the guilt that comes later.

7. Ice CreamCraving something creamier than soft-serve fruit? Here’s your answer: Victory Garden (31 Carmine St, New York, NY 10014). This tiny shop in the West village is famous for their soft serve made from Goat dairy instead of from cow milk—better for your digestion, lower in fat, and a better source of iron, calcium, and protein. The goat milk comes straight from a local farm in Candor, New York. So, enjoy this creamy dessert without the dairy complications of the ice cream truck down the street. Their salted caramel flavor with their Halva topping is mouthwatering.

So, with tasty, healthier options like these ones all over the area, you will enjoy satisfying your unhealthy cravings without all the added guilt that comes along with eating your favorite treats. Bon appetit!

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.