Navigate the Restaurant Scene of New York City Like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Sick of the usual dining hall menu options?  Refuse to enter The Marketplace at Kimmel for at least another semester?  This spring, strive to try eating out some more.  After all, we are in New York, one of the restaurant capitals of the world, and it’s a sin not to explore what great spots are right in our own backyard.  And believe it or not, this is even achievable on a college student’s budget.

Looking for a Cute Café?  If you want to go mainstream, try Serendipity’s uptown.  Sure, this is a hyped up tourist spot, but the food is actually good to boot and the restaurant itself is, in a word, adorable. 
Make sure you order their famous Frozen Hot Chocolate!  And who knows, maybe you’ll even have your own movie magic and meet someone serendipitously. 
Or if you’re looking for something a little less known, but equally delightful in terms of the setting, check out Alice’s Tea Cup.  With three “chapters,” one of west 73rd street, another on east 64th street, and the third on east 81st street, this cute place channels everything Alice in Wonderland.
Feel as though you just stepped out of one of the pages of your favorite story book and into this magical restaurant where the waitresses wear fairy wings and the list of teas and decadent deserts is as long and flowing as the Jabberwocky.

Want a Fast Meal? Instead of making a pit stop downstairs in your residence hall’s dining hall, try one of these quick meal restaurants instead.  Much nicer than a fast-food joint, Au Bon Pain or Prêt A Manger bring healthier options specializing in soups, salads, sandwiches, and desserts to the table and just overall much more delicious food (maybe it has something to do with the French names, perhaps?!)  Or if you’re not in the mood to go French, check out the Shake Shack.

There’s even a location in Madison Square Park, so grab your patty, a delicious shake and once the weather warms up, take a nice stroll around the park as you munch away.

Interested in something Stereotypically New York? What screams NYC more than a traditional deli?  Depending upon how extreme you’d like to be there’s Carnegie Deli as well as Katz Deli each offering monstrous sized portions of Jewish deli food.  Whether you want smoked lox and cream cheese on a bagel or a huge Triple Decker Sloppy Joe on rye with a pickle on the side, these places have got you covered. 

For a great bagel near campus, stop by Bagel Bob’s on University Place.  Also make sure to try Junior’s Cheesecake in the heart of the theatre district for deli food as well as mounds of decadent deserts.  The only problem here is choosing which cheesecake to try first!

Fancy a Salad?
Try Chop’t!  This creative salad company has a menu of pre-made salads as well as a section where you “act as your own executive chef” and have the ability to pick and choose which ingredients you want piled high on top of your lettuce of choice.  Every two months they also rotate seasonal specials onto the menu.  With six locations across Manhattan, it’s not hard to find one in your ‘hood.  The closest one to campus, for those who like to stay close by, is not too far off from Union Square!

Wishing For Something Sweet?Crumbs is far from being the only bakery in this town!  Instead, opt for mini quarter-sized cupcakes in unique flavor combinations at Baked By Melissa. 
There are two locations convenient to campus – Soho and Union Square.  Also, consider trying an old world style bakery, such as Moshe’s Bake Shoppe on 2ndAvenue for a wide array of cookies, cake slices, and pastries.  Or, again, go French at François Payard Bakery on West Houston.  The long list of pastries outside just give a hint of all the buttery goodness inside. 
If you’re into a healthier option, pull-your-own froyo at 16 Handles in the East Village where you choose the amount of each of the sixteen changing flavors and add toppings.  But watch out, the more you add, the more expensive it gets (albeit more delicious!).

Have more suggestions?  Post a comment below!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.