Michelle Obama and Charlize Theron Believe “There is Nothing Sexier Than a Smart Woman”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Beyonce’s “Flawless” rang throughout the prestigious Apollo Theatre in Harlem as an audience of 1,000 girls, and women sang along waiting for Glamour Magazine’s ‘The Power of an Educated Girl’ panel to begin. As a part of The Girl Project, the line up of ladies included all who use their influence to work towards the global education for girls, gender equality, and world health – such as First Lady Michelle Obama and former Austrilian Prime Minister Julia Gillard. Glamour Editor-in-Chief Cindy Leive served as moderator.

While waiting for the panel and discussion, the audience was surprised with a welcome from activist and actress Sophia Bush, most well known for her role as Brooke Davis in the hit television show ‘One Tree Hill.’ Dressed in a bright and colorful dress, Bush warmed up the crowd and talked about her own experience with her education. Before introducing the panel, Bush told the audience with a word of advice: “Smart is sexy and beautiful and badass. It’s impressive and something you can be proud of.”

Oscar-winning actress and founder of The Africa Project Charlize Theron later echoed this sentiment. “There is nothing sexier than a smart woman,” she told the crowd when asked to comment about boys who don’t find intelligent girls attractive. “You don’t want to be with a boy that’s too stupid to know you’re a smart young lady,” Obama agreed. “There is no boy at this age that is cute or interesting enough to stop you from getting your education. If I worried about who liked me and though I was cute when I was your age, I wouldn’t be married to the President of the United States,” she added, soliciting a huge cheer from the audience.

The other women on stage also harmonized with FLOTUS’s belief that boys should not be a defining factor in gaining an education. They emphasized that education provides girls with power, independence, opportunity, and hope. In light of the UN getting back in session, they urged the girls in the audience to reach out to politicians and world leaders to create change and ensure that the 62 million girls who are not educated can be given the same opportunities. As an example, Gillard pointed out that on average it costs $1.18 a day in developing countries to send a girl to school. With funding and global initiatives reducing the cost by 88%, that leaves nations with a price tag of 14 cents a day per girl in exchange for a priceless higher quality of life. Putting the cost into perspective really clarified how achievable the goal of having every child in school actually was.

As the discussion moved on, the women also considered not only how global education is possible, but why it is crucial. A girl in school is much less likely to marry young, become a teenage mom, or contract AIDs or STDs. The opportunity to be educated for these girls in developing countries is an opportunity for a better life and an opportunity to escape poverty.

Obama’s Let Girls Learn Initiative aims to avoid these problems by working with the Peace Corps and community leaders to provide the resources necessary to educate girls globally. Her social media campaign – #62milliongirls – aimed to spread awareness of the cause. She urged the panel attendees to never take their education for granted. Needless to say, ‘The Power of An Educated Girl’ panel was an incredible discussion of female empowerment, hope, and possibility. Solutions to increasing education begins with the individual. Offering guidance and mentorship to a younger girl is the first step. “Change happens incrementally…it’s person by person…solving the problem will take generations,” Obama finalized. “It’s going to take the work of your children and grandchildren. But we can never give up.” 

The Her Campus NYU girls attending the event!

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein