Melanin Friendly Product Guide for Oily Skins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As THE ultimate skincare junkie, I have always been on the hunt for the perfect set of products to treat my greasy skin. Like most teenagers, I used to believe that my oily complexion and occasional acne should be treated with harsh physical and chemical exfoliants. But over time, I’ve discovered that treating my skin gently has actually reduced its oil production. These days, I’m all about hydration, hydration, hydration! This doesn’t mean that there isn’t a time and place for exfoliation. There is!  Especially for those of us who are melanin-rich and more prone to hyperpigmentation. The ultimate goal is a regime that focuses on balancing, rather than treating the skin. With that, here’s a list of products that should get the job done!

1. Water 

So this might be an obvious one, but it also happens to be the most essential. Drinking at least eight glasses of water a day is the very first step to a clear and even complexion! You can use all of the products in the world, but not drinking enough water will truly prevent your skin from looking its best. So make sure to always stay hydrated! Once that’s taken care of, we can get to the goodies.

2. Makeup Remover: Klairs Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil ($23)

If you haven’t gotten on the double-cleansing train yet, -and no, makeup wipes do not count- please come aboard A-S-A-P! Oily complexions are especially in need of a thorough cleanse, and this is a great place to start. Black bean, sesame, and currant seed oil will remove even the toughest makeup and New York City grime. Just massage this product into the skin and place a warm washcloth over the face, allowing your pores to open up and for your face to de-gunkify (yes, I just made that word up).

3. Cleanser: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel ($15)

When it comes to washing oily skin, a pH balancing cleanser is key. Our skin’s natural acidic state (low pH) supports healthy bacterial and fungal growth, and in order to maintain this organic quality, we’ve got to use a cleanser that is just as acidic. Thankfully, La-Roche Posay has blessed us with the perfect daily cleanser that has a pH of 5.5! It also happens to contain zinc pidolate, which helps to remove excess oil from the skin. This purifying gel will leave your face feeling clarified and moisturized. Not to mention, it lasts forever.

4. Scrub: Acure Organics Brightening Facial Scrub ($10)

Acure’s paraben and sulfate-free scrub has been dubbed as one of the most effective organic skin products out there. French green clay purifies, lemon peel granules brighten, and chlorella growth factor accelerates skin cell generation Scrub it up two or three times a week without having to scrub out your wallet.   

5. Peel: The Ordinary AHA (30%) + BHA (2%) Peeling Solution ($8)

While peels aren’t the most essential skincare item for us collegiates, they are a great way to chemically exfoliate the skin and provide it with an occasional deep cleaning (we’re talking once a month). The peel from this Canadian brand contains a handful of naturally-derived chemicals such as glycolic, lactic, tartaric, citric (Alpha Hydroxyl Acids), and salicylic acids (Beta Hydroxyl Acid). AHAs will exfoliate the skin’s topmost layer to brighten and even out the complexion. Meanwhile, BHAs will dig deeper to clean out your pores. Essentially, it’s a winning combination at a great price point!

6. Mask: Kiehl’s Tumeric and Cranberry Seed Energizing Radiance Mask ($32)

All I can really say about this mask is that it’s for badass women. No seriously guys, Karrueche Tran swears by this mask, and her melanin stays poppin’. Its primary ingredients of turmeric and cranberry seeds work to reduce inflammation, and to exfoliate the skin, which reduces hyperpigmentation over time.

*Pro-tip: apply right after breaking a sweat for a badass tingling sensation.

7. Toner: Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner ($19)

Applying toner is ESSENTIAL to caring for oily skin, given that it can provide an additional level of cleansing while simultaneously preparing the skin to fully absorb serums and moisturizers. The key ingredient in this Korean toner is the salicylic acid that gently exfoliates and treats any kind of inflammation. Aloe and Snail Mucin have also been added in order to soothe and rehydrate.  

8. Serum: Sunday Riley U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil ($40)

Take it from me, once you go Sunday Riley, you’ll never go back. As expensive as this oil/serum is, it is worth every penny! Any suspicions of applying oil to your already-oily skin will quickly be dispelled as you watch tea tree oil and black cumin seed oil shrink your pores, while licorice root reduces your dark spots. Using this oil once a day will also help to balance your skin’s oil production over time, leaving you with a dewy –not greasy- glow.   

9. Moisturizer: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($20)

Often times, an oily complexion is our face’s way of telling us that it’s dehydrated. The best way to combat this is with hyaluronic acid, which can hold up 1,000 times its weight in water! Neutrogena’s award-winning hyaluronic acid moisturizer will keep your face feeling hydrated, soft, and kind of like a baby’s bum- if you’re into that kind of thing.

10. Sunscreen: UNSUN Spf 30- Tinted Mineral Sunscreen ($29)

What happens when Katonya Breaux (Frank Ocean’s mom) starts her own cosmetics company? Black girl magic! Duh! This tinted sunscreen from UnSun Cosmetics not only contains naturally derived ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, and five different fruit antioxidants. It is also designed to blend in with multiple skin tones so that brown and black complexions won’t be left with that annoying white residue.

Elijah is a sophomore at NYU Steinhardt, studying Global Public Health and Nutrition! She loves beauty products and old movies!This year, she so excited to be a new member of the Her Campus team!
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com