London or Bust: My Journey to Study Abroad in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’ve been an NYU student for at least a month (that should be everyone), you’ve probably heard how very proud President Sexton is of NYU’s forever expanding global university. As it turns out, our abroad program is not only encouraged for our own students, but also by advisors at other schools. In fact, my roommate here in London goes to Boston University. That’s impressive to me; I think I’m starting to feel a little more proud too.

As one among few in our engineering program with Stevens Institute of Technology, I had very limited options for studying abroad. My advisor made it clear to me that if I was set on making my way across an ocean, the stars pretty much had to align. There was only one place, and only one time in which I could do it. And I also needed to take a few summer classes. And maybe persuade certain people to let certain courses fulfill certain requirements.

I needed to, as Mr. Tim Gunn would say, “make it work.”

Studying in London this semester became not so much a choice, but an ultimatum: This, or Nothing. Manifesting this fate was a huge struggle, with countless bumps in the road. I was not beyond begging…my only chance to spend a semester over seas was at stake! When I was finally accepted into the program (months past many deadlines), I could not contain my ecstasy. Pretty sure I let a little squeal slip during recitation (apologies to my Engineering Physics 3 T.A. for checking my email during class).

In short, I feel incredibly privileged to be here.

Obviously, I had no idea what to expect. Certainly, there would be new slang to acquire, new habits to form, and a constant reminder that glances left-right-left should be replaced with right-left-right. But what did it really mean for there to be an NYU in London? As it turns out, it means an impressive deal. NYU has its own building (which is actually comprised of three different buildings which are internally connected) where all of our classes are held. The academic center is situated in quite a nice neighborhood, with a front door that overlooks a park, and a backyard consisting of The British Museum (home of the Rosetta Stone, NBD).

Class, too, is good. The lack of math and engineering courses proves a convenient break from my norm. In addition to my lonely math class, Theory of Probability, I’m taking British Cinema, Architecture in London, Personality, and British Politics and Culture.Although, I’mmildly upset that I am not mingling among other British students in class, I am pleased to assure you that all my professors tout wonderfully thick British accents! The professors, to my relief, are not mere transplants from New York City, but incredibly over qualified men and women who also teach at other London universities. Disregarding the large mandatory lecture that all 300 NYU London students attend weekly, class sizes are generally and pleasantly petite—no more than 20. However, each class only meets once a week for an excruciating 3 hours (my complaints begin and end here).

Not only is our academic building amazing, but NYU provides conveniently located dorms as well. There are two buildings that house exclusively NYU students, and a third residence in which one can opt to live among other international students also studying in London. Speaking only for my NYU-exclusive dorm, the place is exquisite. It was redone only last year, so it has a very new feel to it. Lots of space, wonderful kitchen appliances, and….(ready?)…a maid. A weekly maid. Who changes my sheets and cleans the flat.

Cheers, NYU. (That’s British slang for ‘Thanks’)

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.