Lash Power: Top Five Tips to Plump Your Lashes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With winter weather comes chapped lips and dry skin that can be difficult to cover up with bold colors. Wearing a bright purple lipstick is only ideal atop smooth lips. So whats left in beauty trends? Lashes. Think fall fashion week Moschino, barbie style lashes. Gucci was a prominent player in the lash game in their fall 2014 collections, while Prada and Versace plumped up as well.  In order to plump, extend and thicken lashes to be on trend in all things beauty, there are five important factors to consider when using mascara to obtain the fullest effect.

1) Heat It Up      Recently, many beauty bloggers, editors and obsessors have claimed that heating your eyelash curler will emphasize and enhance its capabilities. The idea is that a heated eyelash curler has the same effects of a curling iron, if its hot, the curl will hold longer. Be careful in heating your eyelash curler although, as it is metal. Make sure to let it cool, to where it is warm. Testing the temperature of the curler to the touch of your hand prevents accidental burns.

2) Layering     Before the curler, comes the application. Although in retrospect a simple process, the application of mascara can determine the volume and fuller look. For added extension, start by applying at the root to the tip, ending with continuous strokes on solely the tip of the lash. Layer your mascara by applying in multiple settings. Over applying mascara while it is still wet defeats the purpose of layering. Let your mascara dry for a couple minutes, then reapply.

3) Clump Be Gone   Adding on volume upon volume of mascara has one fault; clumps. Clumps in lashes are caused by build up of mascara. This build up starts in the brush. To prevent this flaw, before applying your mascara, wipe off the excess build on the brush on a napkin. Re dip the brush to gain fresh make up for fresher, less clumpy lashes. Investing in an eyelash comb is another great way to comb out clumps before and after application.

4) Wing It    The corner of the eye is the most overlooked area of the eye, yet attending to it can open up the eye tremendously. First, create a winged or cat eye with your eyeliner to extend the lash line through illusion. Second, apply mascara in the corners of the lash line to open up the lashes completely around the eye.

5) Re-purchase    The right product is ultimately the way to lash power. A common mistake for the college girl is trying to use up every last drop of your mascara bottle. Although counting pennies to purchase a new bottle when it seems perfectly acceptable to dash a bit of water in your mascara tube, shake it up and keep it going for a few more days isn’t ideal, its necessary. At some point, mascara dries up, or becomes overly oily from constant contact with the natural oils in your lashes. Re-purchase mascara when its no longer giving the same lash power it did day one.

For a personal input, MAC Cosmetics’ In Extreme Dimension Lash Mascara makes natural lashes look fake. Promising the plump, extend length, add volume and create curl, the mascara applies on smoothly and creates an illusion of thicker lashes.

Keep your eyes peeled for the new film Top Five starring Chris Rock  in theaters December 12th.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.